What Oil Does Your Shopmates Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL, who helps me in the shop occasionally, uses Schaeffer's (VW TDI and '84 Cherokee), and a good friend that rarely helps but has been a source of advice and went to school for auto tech, when I change his oil (mostly 80's Ford vans), insists on danged conventional Pennzoil when I keep Valvoline on the shelf. A friend with a nice shop in MO uses nothing but JD Streett.

I use Valvoline in most of my stuff, Schaeffer's in my ton truck, partial to Amsoil in my Honda CL175. And my oil change offerings to customers are Valvoline Maxlife, then Synpower or Schaeffer's as a step up. At least I believe in the oil I'm putting in their rigs.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mctmatt
I am more interested has to how often the shop pros change their oil in their personal vehicles. Do they every 3K , 5K or do they go further out.
UOA showed my Jeep needs its oil changed @ 4k so I do it befor 4k. My truck says 2500 miles for severe service and thats all it does is severe service but I let it go 3500ish.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: mctmatt
I am more interested has to how often the shop pros change their oil in their personal vehicles. Do they every 3K , 5K or do they go further out.
UOA showed my Jeep needs its oil changed @ 4k so I do it befor 4k. My truck says 2500 miles for severe service and thats all it does is severe service but I let it go 3500ish.

Interesting, another mechanic I met does his oil every 5,000 KM (3,100 miles). And he uses decent oil too, like Castrol Magnatec.

That's fairly close to the ~ 3,500 miles you are doing.

The thing I notice most is not the actual oil brand, but the duration of the oil change among techs I work with. Every single tech I work with changes their oil at or around 3,000 miles. And I'm talking about a wide variety of ages here...32,33,39,55,49,50,48...all from much different backgrounds. They all believe in changing their oil way before most people around here recommend it.

As for the brands of oil they use...four use Mobil 1, one uses Royal Purple, another uses Amsoil, and one guy uses conventional. But they all change the oil every 3,000 miles. I'm the only one that goes 7,000 miles using synthetic (Mobil 1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back