What Oil Does Your Shopmates Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here who is a mechanic, what do your fellow employees use for oil? We have 4 employees including me, and one of them uses Royal Purple. Dads using up his free oil changes on his new truck, and the other guy (body man) gets shop oil.

Most of the guys in my shop just bring their car in the shop and change it themselves. We use Valvoline oil. One of the guys uses Quaker State green bottle on his 4 Ford Tauruses. I bring my own oil in and change it myself. I've got 6 oil changes of napa synthetic stocked up.

Last edited:
most people, especially mechanics, get very passionate about their oil choices. when I was at a Dodge dealer we had one manager who would only use Quaker State, one mechanic with Kendall. the others were Valvoline or, whatever was "free".

My co workers use our Safety Kleen "ECO POWER" 5w30 oil. Not real picky as they know just like me it's API SN approved oil so why sweat the small stuff?
smile.gif

If I didn't have a 100+ quart oil stash I would use the Safety Kleen oil in a heartbeat

At the place i worked at the mechanics would use Delo 400 the shop used. The owners of the company considered it a perk of the job so long as it wasn't abused and the oil was written off on the rental fleet. I loved my job and the owners of the company treated me like gold. I retired in 2000.

Of my friends who work in a transit bus garage. One is a passionate Valvoline guy but will run Mobil 1 synthetic, never conventional. Occasionally his vehicles get the Lubrication Engineered oil that the pump won't pick up from the bottom of the 275 gallon tote from work. Another mechanic there is a die hard Kendall guy, the other two mechanics would likely get into a fist fight arguing over Delo and Delvac, the last mechanic runs Rotella in everything.

My really good friends at my old machine shop aren't oil picky at all, heck the lead machinist there will run clean looking oil in his truck that has been drained from a warranty engine or from an engine that has come in to be rebuilt, he's a whatever is free or closest to free kinda guy. Funny enough he only changes the oil in his 350 powered truck once per year, at deer season, and somethimes he misses a year. Still going despite the abuse, his argument is that he can rebuild a 350 in a weekend for $175 so why waste money on oil changes. Funny thing is his 350 has almost 200,000 miles on this rebuild with yearly or ever other year oil changes with whatever is free or cheap...

So many years ago it was bulk delivered "Quaker State" delivered in a dirty, unmarked truck.

Bossman gave personal oil change oil to the employees BYOF (where F=filter). That generosity led me to conclude it was some garbage, misblended oil.

Most of us use Motorcraft. In my previous vehicles I ran Pennzoil and one coworker who had consumption issues switched to Pennzoil High Mileage.

Of the actual pros I know well, one loves Castrol while the other uses Genuine's store brand.
Both have had any number of engines opened up and base their selections upon what keeps engines clean without excess wear.
Of course, any oil changed on reasonable intervals will do that.

I am more interested has to how often the shop pros change their oil in their personal vehicles. Do they every 3K , 5K or do they go further out.

Mcmatt, I'm shooting for 5-6K, or one year. Dad's truck is 5K until his freebies are used up, then probably 8-10K on synthetic. The Royal Purple guy, no idea. Same for our body man, no idea.

I use whatever we use in the shop, so long as it's suitable for my vehicles. So my cars these days are running Mitsubishi branded Castrol oils...not suitable for my motorcycles, so I get those in from somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Mcmatt, I'm shooting for 5-6K, or one year. Dad's truck is 5K until his freebies are used up, then probably 8-10K on synthetic. The Royal Purple guy, no idea. Same for our body man, no idea.

Thanks, I am pretty much a 5K guy as that is easy to keep up with and is what works best for me.

most of the mechanics i worked with many years ago used the shop oil. which was quaker state bulk oil. i brought my own pennzoil yellow in to change it in my car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back