What oil does UPS use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UPS trucks around here are serviced by local shops and they use whatever oil is handy. I know all the truck fuel up at a Citgo near the terminal. One driver told me that it taken to the local quick lube who gives a best price and gets all the work. He said reason he knew that was another shop was complaining to him because he lost the contract over a few pennies and was now a FedEx only shipper.

I also know hub to terminal 18 wheeler driver (He could not take working there anymore and retired as soon as he could) and he has told me many a time that they pinch pennies big time. They have bean counters who are always finding ways to streamline costs and any work done on his truck was scrutinized for cost big time. They would have people following the drivers around looking for ways to save a buck, get more work out of their employees etc. We are in a semi-rural area, town and county etc. The route driver was complaining some time back about a new schedule he had to follow. He was only to deliver to business/residences on the right side of the road till all of those were completed, then he was to deliver to those on the other side on his return trip (then were now on his right) but the bean counter who thought that up did not take into account the rural drivers. So as he left a delivery at my shop on the right, the package he had for the home across the street he could not deliver even though his next right was 25 miles distance. If he would have done it, the logged time in his PDA would have alerted the bean counters he was not following the rules.

If UPS is like the government, the shops have to call for authorizations for all repairs. With my state owned vehicle(s), I had no control whatsoever in maintenance and had to take it to a dealer and they would determine the problem and call Wheels (MAP) and they would handle everything even sending parts from dealers/jobbers that had contract with. With oil changes, I could only use Quick-lube that had been pre-selected following a pre-determined schedule or work, oil change every 5000 miles iregardless of hours used. The lube shop would do the work and call MAP for approval and credit card number. I bet UPS is the same....

btw-To do business with the state you had to have a federal ID number as well as be a state certified shop. To do certain work (brakes) your tech had to be certified in that field. Many places did not was all the hassle that went with the business.

[ December 25, 2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I worked at UPS in the late 70's putting myself through college. The 6 and 8 cube trucks had Ford 300/I-6's in them. I used to fill them up and check the oil. I don't remember what oil it was. I remember when they instituted the engine shutdown during stops to save on gas costs. We used to joke that with all the gas money saved, those funds would be turned over to the starter motor folks.

I thought I read that UPS is using Cummins TD's in their delivery trucks.

According to my daughter who is visiting from Virginia, the UPS and Fedex trucks that come every day to pick up documents have an announcement painted on the side that they are burning Natural Gas.

The new vans are freightliner Sprinters. They are part of the Dodge/Chrysler Co.
They are built/assembled in their new state of the art plant located in Greenville, South Carolina. The government agency I work for bought 3 for transit related duties.ie supervisor's vans.
Plenty of power. This thing moves.

quote:

Originally posted by rchavis:
The new vans are freightliner Sprinters. They are part of the Dodge/Chrysler Co.
They are built/assembled in their new state of the art plant located in Greenville, South Carolina. The government agency I work for bought 3 for transit related duties.ie supervisor's vans.

quote:

Originally posted by rchavis:

It is still a German design though, and dodge is now controlled by Diamler.

The big brown vans are powered by Cummins Diesels. Very distinctive sound! (not to mention smell...)

Gas engines used to be the venerable Ford 300 Inline Six. No idea what goes in them today.

For those who don't like the sprinters, all I can say is that then GM and Ford better wise up quick.

I work for an outfit that runs 30 delivery vehicles (floral delivery). They used to run all Grumman bodies over a GM chassis using the old 350 V8. Generally quite reliable, but they are gas pigs - generally they get 8-9 mpg, much worse in the winter.

Enter the sprinter: Not as much oomph, but the suckers get 20+ mpg and get the job done just as well as the old grumman vans.

As a fleet manager, If I can cut my fuel costs in HALF and get the same work done, you tell me which is the wiser choice. I don't care where they are made - they are making me money - period.

The tag line for the Sprinter is something close to ~ "Drives like a Dodge, but powered by Mercedes."

Oooh, exactly what I'm looking for in a fleet vehicle! Something that is just as crappy to drive, but will cost 5X as much to fix?

The fuel economy may be better, but if I were a fleet manager, I'd sooner slit my wrists than order a fleet vehicle with any German engine.

Maybe that's why UPS opted for the Cummins?

It's not a Dodge. It's a Mercedes and it doesn't drive like crap. I have three German diesels all with over 250000 miles. They don't even burn oil yet, let alone be worn out.

quote:

and it keeps americans working and puts money back into the U.S. economy. I am so anal about these things that I won't even order products for my company from suppliers that use foriegn delivery vehicles! Sorry, just venting!

Remember the "Pied Piper of the 80's" ..good old Ronnie Reagan? Don't worry about the jobs going overseas ..there will be plenty of service jobs to take their place.

He was correct. He just didn't tell us that the social and economic "technical correction" was going to recycle our middle class with a little collateral damage along the way. We witnessed the single greatest transfer of wealth to Japan during his administration.

Well, Japan got a lot of our $$ and jobs ..and so what? They ended up with dollars that were'nt worth as much to them ..and the rest of the world. If we couldn't afford to buy their Sonys ...they couldn't employ their people ...and on down the line it goes.

If we get cut ..the whole world bleeds. There is NO other nation that can afford the worlds output of goods. They have no place else to sell them. They are attached the nipples of our economy like dependant pups and can never survive without us being vital.

Relax ..learn to live with having the world being enslaved to your dollar ...and sit back and have them produce high quality products for a few slips of green paper
grin.gif

*I* know it's a Mercedes, and drives better than a Dodge, but that's not how they're marketing it.

The initial press release said it "Drives like a Dodge...." And I quote this from the Sprinter "Complete InfoSheet" .pdf on the Dodge website: "Sprinter's Mercedes-Benz engine and tough, durable Dodge body combine to make a vehicle sure to have strong resale value." Uh-huh.

I also know from personal experience that the basics of Mercedes engines last a long time, and historically rarely broke down (the quality has since slipped). But when they do break down, get ready to open your wallet. The things that go wrong now are multitudes of $800 sensors, and European cars are losing multi-hundred dollar MAFs, ignition coils, etc. left and right these days. Ask me how I know!

There are plenty of other engines out there now with far more reliable electronics and equally reliable internals.

It would be better to market it as being built like a Mercedes with the maintenance costs of a Dodge and the fuel efficiency of a Toyota.

I recently resorted to soldering an electrical connector back together on my VW because no shop, VW or otherwise, could properly diagnose the problem. They went looking for vacuum leaks, when it was clearly an electrical problem. When I figured out how to fix it, and told them how to fix it, they couldn't even understand what I was talking about. So I wound up pulling out my own soldering iron to fix it. Basically, if you own a German car in North America, odds are you'll have to learn how to fix it yourself.

[ December 31, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: 1781cc ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:
It's not a Dodge. It's a Mercedes and it doesn't drive like crap. I have three German diesels all with over 250000 miles. They don't even burn oil yet, let alone be worn out.

Well then, just what do you use for fuel
wink.gif

I asked the same question about a year ago.

The delivery vans use fleet oil (mostly Pennzoil 15W-40). They also use Fram filters!!!

Engines don't get rebuild. When they go "boom" they get replaced.

I believe the gas vans get oil changes every 3000 miles but it might be different for the diesels.

[ January 02, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: davefr ]

In some ways this whole thread sounds like the blind men and the elephant. What they are using is interesting, but their usage is so far from mine, that I don't think it helps me much.

And as far as fuel goes, ask the fleet manager. They use whatever is cheapest. They buy wholesale and purchase thousands of gallons at a time, delivered to their own tanks. Marathon has the account around here, but I sell 5 different brands of fuel out of the same tank. There IS an additive difference between brands of gasoline, there is ABSOLUTELY NO difference between different brands of diesel fuel, there is NO additive package. (YET) Wait for Ultra Low Sufur Diesel in 2006...brought to you by your government.

quote:

They are built/assembled in their new state of the art plant located in Greenville, South Carolina.

I interviewed there in spring 2001 when they were bringing the sprinter program online. I would not call it "state of the art"... it is just an old plant that was being used to build school bus chassis. Didn't seem particularly "hi-tech to me. Unless, of course, they have made major changes since I was there...

What UPS does in one location may be totally different than what goes on in other locations. 99% of what has been said here is not indicative to UPS in my area. I have almost daily contact with UPS and its drivers and I know they do not service their trucks and but the fuel at the pumps of Citgo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back