What oil do you use and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious..... Myself I use Mobil 1, I dont really have a perfect reason other than I am happy with it. I have considered using Amsoil but didnt feel that I needed to. Should I change from using Mobil 1 to something else, if so can you tell me why that would be?

I think your best bet would be to get your oil analyzed(UOA). That will tell you how well your oil is working in your engine. I also use Mobil 1 in my Camaro and Silverado. I'll soon get a UOA done and see how well t
wink.gif
he Mobil 1 is working for my engines!

I use Amsoil 5w-30 ASL. It does a little better job in my wife's Maxima than 5w-30 Mobil. My UOA was a little better, 1-2mpg mileage increase, & less makeup oil added. But if Mobil works well for you keep using it. It's more convenient to buy & you can catch it on sale @ Walmart right now for $18.88 for 5 quart jugs(in my area anyway). It's tempting for me to go back to Mobil if it was always available @ that price. I guess I could stock up right now & hope it lasts till the sale came back. I once bought 10 five quart jugs of Mobil 15W-50 @ Walmart for $10 a jug. The manager wanted to clear them out & that was the oil I was running in my drag car at that time. What a deal!

Mobil Delvac 1 in the 4Runner.

Since buying it, I've used (in order) GTX Magnatec (2000km, just to ensure that when I changed to synthetic, the residual was pretty new), Mobil 1 5W-50, Pennzoil 5W-50 synthetic, BP Visco 5000, Redline 10W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40, and now the Delvac 1.

All the synthetics started to consume an extra 1.5MPG at the 12,000km mark.

The beater is on Delvac 1300MX, and will be on Delo400 after this weekend.

Hmm Visco 5000. Timkens well that oil. Seems like you like 5W40 syn as I do. Try Motul Synergie 6100 5W40 PAO ($55 for 5 litres at Autobarn). See if your as impressed as I am. D1 hard to beat for all round use though. Was the Pennzoil the Performax 100 (top stuff) and do you have Redline in diff trans?

For many years I used Mobil 1 but when I found this site and heard the many great things (and saw many great oil reports) about Schaeffer Oil, I switched to their blend in my Firebird.

I'm currently using Royal Purple in my wife's car but next interval I will be switching it to Castrol 0w30, since this oil is actually Formula SLX from Germany.

I use Mobil 1 in my RAM and GTP. I've been using it in my vehicles since it was introduced over 20 years ago and it has never failed me.

It might not be best of class in every category but the UOA's are pretty impressive and it's readily available for about $4/qt.

For my TT Supra, I use Redline since it's about the best oil made.

I've never tried Amsoil since it costs as much as Redline once you factor in shipping. (poor ROI)

quote:

Originally posted by theGINGERBREADMAN:
Curious..... Myself I use Mobil 1, I dont really have a perfect reason other than I am happy with it. I have considered using Amsoil but didnt feel that I needed to. Should I change from using Mobil 1 to something else, if so can you tell me why that would be?

I am not a believer in switching brands to see if I can get a better UOA so I have been using Amsoil for last 11 years all the old 10W30 synthetic until two years ago when I switched one car to the 0W30.

Now, well, another oil may have protected better I don't know, my Camry has shown high wear metals for 10 years but has 155,000 now and running fine so who knows. As I live near a warehouse I can get the old 10W30 for $4.55 quart + tax and no shipping so this is fairly close to Mobil 1 and certainly less then RedLine and about the same as Schaeffer with shipping added.
Old habits are hard to change when it appears they are doing okay.

Run M1 in my Super Stock dirt car, have for years without any problems. Engine is 451 Mopar, turns 6500 to 7000 at end of straights.

I'm currently running M1 in my 3 cars. That is really only because at competing Wal-Mart and Target stores, I get it for $3.38 - $3.78 a quart. If it ever goes over $4, I'll switch to Schaeffer's #256 straight weight fully syn oil.

don't laugh, but a lot of different oils.
90 Cutlass Ciera, 170K, Pennz. High Mileage 5W-30.
93 GMC truck, 87K, Pennz. 10W-30.
02 Accord, V6, Quaker State, 5W-20.
97 Mercruiser, 4 cylinder, Pennz. HD 30

Been a Pennz. person, but may change after reading a lot of different post.

Probably not going to be the most popular reply but,
1992 Honda Civic 325000 miles Penzoil 10w30 and purolater filters
1994 Ford Ranger 290000 miles Penzoil 10w30 and purolater filters
1994 S10 Blazer 180000 miles Penzoil 10w30 and purolater filters
2000 F150 150000 miles Penzoil 10w30 and purolater filters

As you can see a lot of miles, not one major mech. breakdown, Penzoil is readily available and affordable. It ain't broke, so I don't fix it.

Mobil1 in my 4runner and my Tacoma. The 4 runner gets 10-30 and the Tacoma gets 5-30. Synthetics for me.

My favorite before synthetics was castrol gtx 20-50 in my toyota 4x4 turbo diesel and that motor got toasted in only 18 years. I will not make the same mistake and will run the synthetics.
banghead.gif

[ May 13, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Castrol GTX 10w-30 w/ a FL-1A (oversized) filter in my 1994 Taurus SHO. Why? It's cheap
smile.gif
I change my oil every 2500-3000 (probably gonna start doing 2500 changes more regularly now), and GTX apparantly posts good results as long as it's changed frequently.

In the car right now is regular 'ol Pennzoil that I switched to from Valvoline HM. My next change will be the .68 cent special Halvoline from Target as the carrier for my A-RX.

I used to use Mobil-1 but I stick to 3k changes anyways and college student = non-synthetic.

1995 Jeep Grand Cher. 4.0 105k,
Chevron Supreme 5w-30

1998 Nissan Altima 60k,
Chevron Supreme 5w-30

1992 Moomba Boomerang boat 5.0 ford v-8
Delo 400 sae 30.

Mobil 1.

Why? Because the most hassle I face is having to go to Autozone to pick 0W40 up, but if I don't feel like doing that, I just tell them I want M1 5W30 at the oil change place.

Are there better oils out there? Probably, but I think at this level we are splitting hairs.

2003 Tahoe - Amsoil 5W30
1999 Jeep Grand Chereokee - Amsoil 5W30
1996 Ford E350 7.3L Powerstroke - Pennzoil 15W40
1967 Pontiac GTO - Schaeffers #703

Why? Tahoe & Jeep fewer changes and they both seem to be doing good on the Amsoil annual/25K program. Ford E350 - because that's the way I've always maintained it and it is still running strong. 67 GTO - had to try something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back