What oil do you use and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil-1. I started useing Mobile-1 in 1988. I was useing the European version though. I used Redline for a while but once I got married and had Kids money cost was important. I returned to Mobil-1 andhave my entire family useing it. For the type of driveing I do M1 holds up fine. I am considering doing an Extended drain of Redline in the not so distant future just to see what I see.

I use Mobil 1 and have for about the last ten years. I'm sure there are better oils out there but the convenience of getting the Mobil 1 and buying it in the 5qrt jugs keeps me using it. One day I might try Schaeffer's oil.

quote:

Probably, but I think at this level we are splitting hairs

Exactly.

My latest thoughts (which change daily
grin.gif
)

I use Amsoil currently but will eventually go back to M1 for convienence reasons and the fact that UOA just doesn't support Amsoil being much better, if at all. Mobil 1 is a great oil. I have doubts about S2000 Amsoil and I think there regular 5w/10w-30's are no better then Mobil's. Unless your track racing, I see no need to use any other then Mobil 1 for the money.

[ May 13, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I've always used Valvoline in most my vehicles but that was until I found this site. Really hadn't thought much about it. Just like most maybe, always used what Dad used. But I can see now there are differences. I have a 92 Grand Marque with 237,000 miles. 4.6 liter engine. It gets 20W-50 Valvoline. Uses 1qt every 3,000 miles. I've stayed with this because thats what I've used since It was new and haven't done anything but tuneups. Use Super Tech filter throughout. Also use 20W-50 Valvoline w/FL1A Motorcraft filter in 1975 Ford F250 Highboy 4x4 w/ 390 engine. It has 92,000 miles and still has the power. 1993 Chevy Lumina that my wife uses to deliver mail in. 100 miles a day. It gets Mobil Drive Clean 10W-30 w/ Super Tech filter. 112,000 miles and never has used a drop. It gets driven very hard every day. Finally, my pride and joy, 95 Toyota 4x4 w/ 22RE engine. It has 128,000 miles and uses 1qt per change (3,000 miles). I've always used Mobil Drive Clean 10W-30 w/OEM filter. I did the Auto RX treatment and am ready for some good stuff. I'm on my first dose of Redline 10W-30. My goal is to keep the engine clean and try to slow oil consumption. I've learned alot from this site now I want to try things out and see the differences. Rando

GBM, if you're happy with Mobil 1, why not stick with it? I use & like Bobzoil(Schaeffer), it's given me excellent results verified by analysis. But I'm not trying to convert anyone.
Just remember that whatever oil you use, none of them are magic.

In my 79 Olds Cutlass Supreme 305 it's Kendall GT1 30WT.In the 69 Chevelle Rat Motor is the same Kendall GT1 30WT.In my 2003 Impala 3.8 V6 it's Kendall GT1 10W-30... But you guys have about convinced to give the Schaeffer's 703 10W-30 a try next on the Impala.

I used to run M1 10W-30 non Supersyn and it caused me bad valve tap issues regardless of temperature at idle on my 3.8L... just too thin I guess.

I changed to the cheaper Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 (after finding the durablend 10W-30 I used to run didn't cause me any valve tap either, and these are hydraullic roller lifters too!) and the tap went away. Also now I consume no oil with my brand new 3.8L V6. The M1 always drank about 3/4qt in 3K miles.

I'm considering schaeffers or something else, but right now its doing the job and I've been happy with it. I'll have it analysed soon.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Chevron Delo 400 15W-40

It has great specs at a great price and is available just about everywhere.

I have had excellent UOA results with this oil.

Nissan Maxima: Mobil 1 10W30 cause I'm emotionally attached to this car.

Ford Escape: Castrol 5W20 for the warranty.

Nissan Altima and Ford E150 Van: Havoline 10W30 cause it was on sale for $.68. Hell of a buy.
smile.gif

[ May 14, 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Roger ]

Originally posted by Roger:
[QB] Nissan Maxima: Mobil 1 10W30 cause I'm emotionally attached to this car.

lol.gif

Aren't we ALL???? I know I am. I swear, when my '90 Cutlass croaks, I'm going to cry. Period.
Anyway, WOW
shocked.gif
with all the info on this forum about the synthetics, I figure most of ya'll would be on synthetics, but not true. It's wierd, NO ONE MENTIONS Quaker State
dunno.gif
Whassssssup with that? I know I'm new here, but did I miss the boat? Is this stuff banned on this BB? Is the oil THAT BAD
confused.gif
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
It's wierd, NO ONE MENTIONS Quaker State
dunno.gif
Whassssssup with that? I know I'm new here, but did I miss the boat? Is this stuff banned on this BB? Is the oil THAT BAD
confused.gif
confused.gif

I find it weird that nobody here uses Quaker State either, at least nobody has done a used oil analysis on it. That's why it's not often mentioned. I'd love to see someone do a UOA on their oils.

Well, I will just for grins and comparisons. I'll use my wifes car. 2002 Accord, V6, auto. with about 35K on it. Car started out on Pennz. 5W-20, but the last 2 oil changes have been with QS (read why on another post by me) I'll get ahold of hte lab folks and set it up.

on my last car, a 94 Civic, I used Mobil 1 5W-30

now I have an 87 Accord, and I use Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30, Because it's pretty cheap, and has Moly.

Schaeffer 10W-30 (or 5W-30 during ski season)--for the extended drain interval, reduced friction (saves a bit of gas) and added engine (& turbocharger bearing) life, and lower cost than M1 or Amsoil.

OEM filters--Toyota and Mann (Volvo).

Schaeffer #204S syn blend ATF--cooler running, longer life than dino ATF and lower cost than M1 or Amsoil.

Schaeffer #267 80W-90 gear oil--toughest stuff I can find.

Ken

My Grand Prix GT has received Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Amsoil ATM most recently. I have about 6,000 miles on the oil and my oil life meter is flashing Low. I am changing it next week so I can run an Auto-Rx cycle with fresh Penzoil and a Bosch Premium filter for 600 miles or so. I'm giving Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 a shot to see how it fares.

I will also be doing an UOA through Blackstone formy 6,000 mile ATM run. The oil life meter reading low after 6,000 miles has me ntrigued. It has been a rough winter this year and I do drive a little on the agresssive side.
smile.gif

96 Previa (Super Charge) - Mobile1, 10w30, change every 6000 miles. 130k miles
00 Camry - Chevron, ISO SYN, 10w30
03 Accord - Honda 5w20 now, plan to go with M1 0w20 at around 8000 mile mark.

Use Mobil 1 10w-30 in my Miata because of the UOA's on this web site.
Use Castrol GTX 20w-50 in my TR3 because I always
liked their support of SCCA racing, Most other British sports car owners use it and it slows consumption.
Use Castrol GTX 20w-50 in my Toyota Cressida because it has 250,000 miles and uses oil.

2002 Sienna: Chevron Supreme 10W-30 (changed at 2000 miles); Mobil-1 10W-30 for long trips. Will pull the valve cover soon to look for sludge (27,000 miles).

1988 Honda Prelude: Any 10W-30 on sale. 5W-30s leak thru the rear-main seal too fast. Trying Delvac 1300Super 15W-40 next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back