What Oil Co. After Oil Analysis Is The Best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys , I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 5.9L Cummins 6spd trans. Which of the CJ oils is the best to use in the engine outside of the synthetics.The CI Plus,etc. are getting hard to find. After reading other posts , etc.,if I'm reading these right, the CJ oils are not as good as the CI plus, etc. oils. What I'm wondering is what is the best oil to use in my 5.9L Cummins? I changed the diffs to Amsoil 75W-110 Severe Gear along with Mag-_Hytech diff cvrs. and I am satisfied with that so far. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dan

John Deere sells a 15/40 oil that is not CJ rated. It is CI+4 IIRC. There are Tens of Thousands? of off road machine that don't have EGR and DPFilters and therefore don't need CJ oil. - - - - They call it JD 15-40 + 50 (meaning it is supposed to be able to run 50% more hours before changing). I read about it and that is what I am going to use in my 06 truck which is exactly like yours. The JD oil does not have the donut,they said they are not going to pay for the privilege? I think it is made by Chevron, probably good old Delo 400 CI+4 with a few extra anti-wear additives. - - Which would be fine by me. It is about 13 bucks a gallon.

Hard to beat schaeffers 7000 15w40, cj4 or not. Although delvac and rotella 15w40 are great also. Choose whatever oil you want, the cummins will more than likely outlast the rest of the truck. Great engine.

The reason I want to stay outside of the synthetics is because I don't put enough miles on the truck to warrant that expense but I do change it once a year whether it needs it or not due to the few miles. I only put around 3-5K miles a year for now and in my oppinion it is a waste of expense. Now I'm not saying that synthetics is not good oil as it is, I'm just trying to find a oil in the CJ range that has the best stuff in it. As I said before the oil before was no brainer but now that they switched the makeup of the oil, it has me confused on what to use. I have been using Rotella T 15-40 and was going to switch to Vaveline Blue / Cummins Endorsed, but still wondering if this is a good move. Yes I too believe that the Cummins is a great engine as a past truck driver I did put mant miles on them.

2x Johnny's comments.

I'd even add in Premium Blue and Tection Extra.

For shorter OCI's, I think any of the major players would work just fine.

I am in the same boat as cannuk.
I am also going dino with yrly oci. but at peak winter at -10 and below I wished I had syn till the truck reached temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back