What oil change recommendation for the German Syntec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The German Syntec is for extended drain intervals right? So what exactly are those intervals? I still can't get over the nearly $8.00 a liter price tag.

What if my car is still under warranty? I still have to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations don't I? I'll bet that GM doesn't have extended drain intervals.

quote:

I'll bet that GM doesn't have extended drain intervals. [/QB]

Many GM cars have a system that monitors factors (engine temperature, rpm, speed, etc.) that affect oil life and turn a light on when calculations indicate it is time for an oil change. When these come on depend on your driving habits, but in my case, it seems to come on between 5,000 and 6,000 miles. If you have one of these, you have to reset it when you change the oil according to instructions in the owners manual.

Some of these systems simply turn a light on while others show a percentage of the oil life that is left. I had to laugh at a relative of mine who had to quickly get her oil changed because there was only 30% of its life left. I said..."would you throw out a carton of milk because there is only 30% left?" She was told to do this by someone she trusted, so that's what she did!

quote:

Originally posted by asenna:
The German Syntec is for extended drain intervals right? So what exactly are those intervals? I still can't get over the nearly $8.00 a liter price tag.

What if my car is still under warranty? I still have to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations don't I? I'll bet that GM doesn't have extended drain intervals.

Follow GM's max recommendations until your warranty passes. If an engine realted issue comes up under warranty and they check your oil change historu in which you exceed the drain interval, you have given them potential out on coverage.

[ July 03, 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: harper ]

quote:

Follow GM's max recommendations until your warranty passes.

Yes that I will do.

However I still want to know what those extented drain intervals for this oil are. WHAT ARE THEY?
What do the manufacture's who OK this oil (MB,BMW, VW etc.) say about drain intervals?

I don't think this oil is really marketed as an extended drain oil, only Amsoil seems to take that route. I would run it 7000 miles as a max. number for a first interval not any longer than that. I think 5000 miles is a better first interval but its a personal choice. Do an analysis on the first interval and use that to base a second interval. If the oil analysis comes back positive then perhaps run the second interval a bit longer. I doubt this oil will turn out to be worth running over 8000-9000 miles, but that's just my guess.

I paid $6.66 for this oil at Walmart recently. Just under $8 with taxes included.

Joey

quote:

VW recommends 30k kilometers (18,641 miles) between oil changes in Europe using German spec Castrol Syntec oil.

[ July 03, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: TexasTDI ]

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:

quote:

VW recommends 30k kilometers (18,641 miles) between oil changes in Europe using German spec Castrol Syntec oil.

Wow!
shocked.gif
Is this in a gasoline or diesel engine though? Thanks.

The long drain specs for the Volkswagen in Europe are VW 503.00 for gas engines going 30,000 KM between drains. VW 506.00 for diesel engines going 50,000 KM between drains.

The North American sold, German blended Castrol is rated for VW specs 502.00, 505.00, 503.01 so this oil is not the extended drain interval oil specified in Europe for Volkswagen. This oil is a fuel conserving oil.

The Castrol does meet BMW long life-01 spec which will go up to 15,000 miles based on the oil life monitor of the vehicle. It meets Mercedes Benz MB 229.1, MB 229.3 (gas engine specs) which is also good for 15,000 miles based on the vehicles oil life monitor. The oil meets Porsche approval also but I have no idea what their drain interval is based on.

[ July 04, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back