what oil brand and grade for GC 3.7 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this question before but didnt really got any anwers.
Anyway my GC is a 2005 3.7 engine with 47k on it.Manual says to use 5w30 but 2 or 3 people told me to use 5w20.
So for any grand cherokee owners with this engine what grade of oil are you using?
36.gif

Use 5w-30 and don't worry about it. I think 5w-20 would work with it fine ..but that's just me.

Brand is up to you. How long do you want to leave it in service and what's your annual mileage?

ENGINE: 3.7-LITER, SOHC, 12-VALVE SMPI POWER TECH V-6

* Availability: Standard – Renegade and Limited Edition, Optional – Sport
* Type and Description : Six-cylinder, 90º V, liquid-cooled
* Displacement: 225 cu. in. (3701 cu. cm)
* Bore x Stroke: 3.66 x 3.57 (93 x 91)
* Valve System: Chain drive, SOHC, 12 valves, roller followers with hydraulic lash adjustment
* Fuel Injection: Multi-point fuel injection with returnless fuel rail
* Construction: Cast-iron block, compacted graphite bedplate, aluminum cylinder head
* Compression Ratio: 9.1:1
* Power (SAE net): 210 hp (157 kW) @ 5200 rpm
* Torque (SAE net): 235 lb.-ft. (319 N•m) @ 4000 rpm
* Max. Engine Speed: 6000 RPM, electronically limited
* Fuel Requirement: Regular unleaded, 87 octane (R+M)/2
* Oil Capacity: 5 qt. (4.7-Liter)
* Coolant Capacity: 14 qt. (13-Liter)
* Emission Controls: Catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, on-board vapor recovery system, leak detection pump system(a)
* Max. Gross Trailer Weight (lbs.): Automatic with trailer tow package 5000 lbs. (2250 kg) Manual transmission 3500 lbs. (1600 kg)
* Estimated EPA Fuel Economy mpg (City/Hwy): Automatic 17/21, Manual 16/22

(a) Meets Federal Interim Tier 2 B in 9A standards and is a California ULEV I under California Cleanest Vehicle Rules in CA, NY, MA, ME and VT.

i have the 3.7 in my ram. i am using motorcraft semi-syn right now. 2qts of 5/20 and 3 qts 5/30. nice and smooth.it does have a rattle at start up i cant diagnose.

i used PP 5/30 once and it was quiet but it seemed sluggish.

i tried mobil clean 5/30 and it wasnt as smooth but it seemed to give much more throttle response.

i also ran havoline ds in 5/20 and have no complaints.

i have concluded from reading here that any approved oil will do fine for normal oci's on a normal vehicle and that oil choice is a personal decision.

some are brand loyal and some are sold that only the best will do for their cars (synthetics)

for me, i am in the best value "namebrand" oil goup. motorcraft semisyn, mobil clean 5000 etc

as for weight, i think 20 and 30 are so close it doent matter. whatever you are comfortable with. (you can mix them like me and you will feel like you have the best of both worlds)

Right know I'm running pp5w30 it's been about four months and about 3k miles. What do you think go 6 months or change now and send for uoa?
I know the oil it's good for six months with the little miles that it has but then again I have never done a UOA on this grand Cherokee .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back