What oil? - 1993 Buick Park Avenue - High kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently I've done two things, one of which was joining BITOG
and the other was receiving a 1993 Buick Park Avenue Ultra S/C.

Now, it had been lurking about for 3 years in a backyard with unknown oil in it, and an unknown maintenance history (came from estate sale in my home area) and I ressurected it. During this fix and tune thrash, I threw in Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w30 (I get it cheap through my part-time job as a parts counterperson)/w/ the usual K&N oil filter (which i've used on most of my past vehicles with success). However, using GTX HM went against my natural instincts to use an "affordable" quality synthetic oil such as Q HP, RP, or PP. But then, on the other hand, I was concerned about possible leaks and such so that's the route I went..

Now for specifics.
The car is indeed a 1993 Buick Park Avenue Ultra /w/ the 3.8L supercharged V6. It has 280,000 kms, and appears to be running well post tuneup. It also appears to be "sweating" from both front and rear valve cover seals (transversly mounted) after 1500 kms, and the GTX HM has minimal carbon build-up in it showing when checked with the dipstick.

Now three questions,

First, should I be giving it an early oil change? The car is bound to turn up a bit of crud on the first oil change post-ressurection.

Second, should I switch to a quality synthetic?
I'm just afraid the detergent qualities of a good synthetic would increase leakage at the valve covers (the seal swell properties can't be THAT good). Plus the car has NEVER seen synthetic before. In fact I doubt it even saw the recommended premium fuel as it's not readily availible in the area where the car was previously driven.

Third, should I stick with a 5w30 vicosity? I drive the car almost daily in our excellent Edmonton winters (anywhere from -10 degrees celcius to -40) and it is rarely (if ever) plugged in (street parking).

Comments and suggestions are encouraged, I want to hear the expertise of many.

i would change the gtx HM at 4,000km and put in M1 5-30...which would really clean up engine...and maybe pennzoil HM after that...synthetic would be great in winter

if the SC is similar to a turbo and runs hot, i would definitely use M1

Welcome to BITOG.
With your bitterly cold Edmonton winters with temp's down to -40, a light synthetic oil is the way to go.
M1 5W-30 is not a bad choice; their 0W-30 would be better.

Pennzoil hm or max life high mileage 5w30 are both really good choices they will slow or stop leaks and protect your engine from sludge.. use ac delco oil filter with the proper care that engine will run for years..

Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30 would be a good choice. You have a choice of either a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30 would be a good choice. You have a choice of either a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

+1 Dude! Get the synthetic MaxLife if you can afford it! If not then get whatever synthetic 0w30 that's on sale.

I would use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and I would do a couple of short oil change intervals (3,000 KM) in the beginning to flush out any gunk or corrosion because it has been sitting for a while.

Add me to the list suggesting Valvoline MaxLife in whatever weight the mfg spec's( 5W or 10W-30 I imagine ). Synthetic variety or the blend either is a good choice and an excellent oil. Let your wallet decide.

It is the synthetic you want yet it is also a HM which is a better option for your application than just a regular synthetic. Especially with it already leaking oil.

Last edited:
I personally would go with the GC 0W-30,at least try it.I believe it would work very well in this car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back