What not to put GC in??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

As soon as the Amsoil AFL 5w-40 in my 4.0 XJ hits 10k I am putting GC in it, which should be in a few weeks.

Yes ..the number is growing!! Can this be the vanguard of a mass migration of the entire jeep owning membership?? Will the ranks that use the "heavy weights" be pushed into glorious obsolessence ..like the Saturn 5 booster, the Oldsmobile VistaCruiser, and Iowa class battle ship???

Will all my work and reasearch have been outpaced, overtaken and laid to waste?
confused.gif

(visions of Richard Nixon's interview when he lost to JFK "Well, you won't have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore"
twak.gif
)

Nope, My 4.0 is staying on Valvoline 10w-30 Dino/ MaxLife for quite a while (at least 6 more oil changes)

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
4.6L modular Fords...I didn't like it much in my 1997 T-bird (start-up and idle rattle + consumption of 0.75 qts in 4k miles)

switching to MC 5/30 syn.blend once winter starts.

I had the exact opposite experience with GC in my '97 4.6L (w). The little bit of start up rattle that I did get pretty much went away with GC. I haven't had any increased consumption either. This is my first run with it and I only put about 500 - 700 miles on per month so I haven't done a UOA yet. So far I'm at 6 months and about 3,500 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:
I was going to say coffee... but then I saw that you limited it to engines. So I retract that statement.

Good one...
lol.gif
lol.gif

Thanks Medic, I was looking for some other feedback on 4.6s. Makes me wonder if the noise is not related to the filter adbv, maybe the additive of choice softened up the valve and made it seal better or something.

As far as "(visions of Richard Nixon's interview when he lost to JFK "Well, you won't have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore" ) This was after he lost the California Gov. race and had nothing to do with the 60 presidential race. Even then, he was wrong as he is still being kicked around today.

quote:

This was after he lost the California Gov. race and had nothing to do with the 60 presidential race. Even then, he was wrong as he is still being kicked around today.

Well ..I was 4 when he lost to JKF ..but in one of the documentaries of his political life ...they made it appear to happen after his loss to JFK.

It don't matter ..it's the thought that counts ..
grin.gif

"What NOT to put GC in?"

A 1986 Yugo, regardless of condition, would probably be a good bet. $$$

I have changed all my cars over to GC and Terry can confirm how well it does in all applications since he sees all UOAs. It is flat out the best oil I have tried so far.

2004 Corvette
2002 Suburban Z71
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII w/ 4.6 DOHC

You should see the UOAs on the Lincoln ... almost zero wear metals after 5000 miles and sUS viscosity of 66 after that interval too. Of course all vehicles also have LC in them.

I would not try it in a PSD or VW TDI! I think tht it might void the warranty on an Enzo as well. I wounder what Cat,Cummins or Penske would think about it in their engines?

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I would not try it in a PSD or VW TDI! I think tht it might void the warranty on an Enzo as well. I wounder what Cat,Cummins or Penske would think about it in their engines?

If GC is the same thing as SLX, then it is certified for TDI (VW 505.00).

I don't have a UOA - so take my subjective evaluation as you will!

My 97 Miata didn't seem too happy with GC. The little 1.8 got pretty noisy and lethargic up towards the top of the RPM range and it burned 1.5 quarts or so during the roughly 4000 mile interval. It also felt a bit down on power. Normally, this engine burns very nearly no oil - with Mobil 1 10W-30, Castrol GTX 10W-30, or Mobil 1 0W-40 (and burns only a little with Mobil 1 5W-30). The 0W-40 is my current fill and feels pretty good so far, although it's only been 500 miles.

On the other hand, my wife's 2000 Mountaineer with the aged 5.0 seemed to perform very well with GC. However, we tried Mobil 1 5W-30 in the truck and get better gas mileage.

Yes its TDI certified. Just not PD certified.

I wouldnt use it in a new BMW M3 that calls for 10W-60.

I don't think it would do well in a Top Fuel car. I dont think it would handle Nitromethane at all well. SAE70 is the oil of choice for these engines.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I have changed all my cars over to GC and Terry can confirm how well it does in all applications since he sees all UOAs. It is flat out the best oil I have tried so far.

2004 Corvette
2002 Suburban Z71
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII w/ 4.6 DOHC

You should see the UOAs on the Lincoln ... almost zero wear metals after 5000 miles and sUS viscosity of 66 after that interval too. Of course all vehicles also have LC in them.

Sorry for my ignorance but what does LC stand for?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
"What NOT to put GC in?"

A 1986 Yugo, regardless of condition, would probably be a good bet. $$$

Yeah. Someone might steal the oil, then you'd be out more $ for the oil than the car was worth to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back