what no kendall oil users????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran Kendall 10W30 in my 98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 2.7L for around 90,000 miles. I go with 5,000 mile OCI. At 90,000 I swtiched to Havoline 10W30. At 130,000 I switched to Rotella T 15W40. No problems, no leaks, no consumption. Probably could run most any oil in this truck. I don't drive the truck hard and run 60/40 highway to city miles.

There is nothing special about Kendall Motor oil. Everyone knows it used to be made in Bradford, P.A. Even when it was made there it was a decent product but certainly not the best on the market. The best value in conventional oil right now is Chevron/Havoline. Those products give you the most bang for the buck and the best protection.

I kinda like the Kendall, 5w-40 synthetic., meets great specs too including some of the tougher VW specs.

Fred..
smile.gif

Used to LOVE Kendall GT-1...back when it was green...seems like I sooner or later I end up with Green oil

I always thought their signs were cool, the peace sign for 2k oil changes
wink.gif
,but never used their oil....

I use to use Kendall in the mid 80's for no particular reason...I was looking around the net and popped on the kendall site..They don't seem to have a wide variety of products but they do have a high mileage,syn blend and 2 synthetics...Anyone have any info about this oil??? I've never seen it mentioned at all here,is it junk or some undiscovered gem???

Kendall oil was more popular when it was thought that oil refined from Pennsylvania crude was superior.

Other brands fading/faded into oblivion include Oilzum, Amalie, Drydene (still marketed by Castrol, it think), Wolfs Head.

In the LA area I have only seen Kendall in bulk. My BMW garage uses the 15W-40 version. Firestone tire stores use bulk Kendall oil for $12 "coupon" oil changes. "76" is the most commonly available ConocoPhillps brand here.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
In the LA area I have only seen Kendall in bulk. My BMW garage uses the 15W-40 version. Firestone tire stores use bulk Kendall oil for $12 "coupon" oil changes. "76" is the most commonly available ConocoPhillps brand here.

The local Firestone lube n' tune n' tire place is where I found out about the synthetic oil. I am told that for my truck (6 quarts) an oil change/lube would be around $50.00.

Hence, my desire to find the oil and change it myself.

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

I've seen at least one Firestone store in Long Beach offering quart bottles of Kendall oil. At least, they had the bottles sitting in a display case, presumably for sale. This was several months ago, and I only recall this because I'd heard of, but never actually seen, Kendall oil.
wink.gif

It was the one on Lakewood Blvd., just north of the Traffic Circle. I think I remember seeing three different types: dino, synthetic, and synthetic blend.

quote:

Originally posted by sewerman:
I use to use Kendall in the mid 80's for no particular reason...I was looking around the net and popped on the kendall site..They don't seem to have a wide variety of products but they do have a high mileage,syn blend and 2 synthetics...Anyone have any info about this oil??? I've never seen it mentioned at all here,is it junk or some undiscovered gem???

I think Kendall GT-1 5w-30 synthetic may be a very good oil and am considering switching to it. Consider this comparison to M1 5w-30 and Syntec 5w-30:

1.All three are rated to GM6094M, low temp pumpability, and GM4718, Corevette, standards. Same API rating. No difference;

2. Viscosity index on Syntec is best at 171. Kendall and M1 are virtually the same at 166 to 167;

3. Kendall has a better flash point at 446. M1 is 435 and Syntec slightly higher at 437;

4. Kendall has a slightly better HT/HS rate of 3.1, than the 3.08 for M1. Syntec is anemic at 2.92;

5. I don't know if this matters, or what it really means, but Syntec has lower 40C and 100C viscosity numbers of 53 and 9.7. Kendall and M1 are virtually the same at 57/56 and 10.1/10.0;

6. HT/HS ratios are virtually the same on M1 and Kendall at 3.246 to 3.258. Syntec comes in 3rd at 3.321;

7. M1 wins the pour point award at -45C, with the other two equal at -39C;

8. I was not able to get cold cranking viscosity numbers for M1. Syntec merely says
My only complaint with Kendall was that I could not buy at Wally world or other automotive stores. In this regard, I have to drive to Sacramento or have it shipped.

Of course, if I go get it, I could get Baldwin filters at the same place, and then go to that neat bar and grill down on...hmmm.....
smile.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

My only complaint with Kendall was that I could not buy at Wally world or other automotive stores. In this regard, I have to drive to Sacramento or have it shipped.

Of course, if I go get it, I could get Baldwin filters at the same place, and then go to that neat bar and grill down on...hmmm.....
smile.gif

Bob W.

I think you might be on to something
smile.gif

What is the quart pricing ?

Another happy Kendall user here. I have always had great UOA, be it Convetional, Semi, or Full Syn. I use there 5-40 in my LS1 race car and posted great results.
I can drop the News about Kendall Products. With the new 5/30 GF-4 spec oil which I recieved today>. Kendall will no longer be making a conventional oil in the common weights, 5/20,5/30,10/30, they are being replaced with Semi-Syn Only. So you will be getting a Semi-syn Oil for about the price of a Dino Oil. All other straight weight will still be dino. I dont know how long before Qts make the change over but I expect new Packaging.
Couple tid bits for some items posted above. Kendall does not sell there Full Syn Oil in 12 qt packages. 6qt box's is all that I have ever seen in 6 yrs of using there products. If she wasnt paying attention that might be for 6 qts. I know what I pay for a case/6qts. If anyone needs it I can get it, it would also have UOA included. John O

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

smile.gif

Bob W.

I think you might be on to something
smile.gif

What is the quart pricing ?

I just got off the phone with "Cathy" at Interstate Oil Company, Sacramanto, CA and she said that GT-1 synthetic is sold there only by the 12 bottle case. The price is $58.68 per case. By my crappy math, that is $4.89 per bottle.

At Costco near me, M1 is available only by the 6 bottle case and is $3.99 per bottle. I have gotten M1 at Wally world for about the same price in 5 quart jugs, with the single bottle around $4.51 per unit.

I must confess, the numbers for Gt-1 look good to me and resolve all my 5w-30 v 10w-30 concerns as it related to flash point and HT/HS.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

my service center uses nothing but bulk kendall.

my honda had nothing but kendall for a good while, until i moved.

Kendall is carried by Auto Zone, which has numerous stores in Southern Calif. Go to their website and click on the store locator.

Here in TN it seems as tho Kendall has the bulk market pretty well cornered. Tires Plus, Firestone, Goodyear stores (both company owned and independent) all feature Kendall 10w30.

I've used it for many years and have never had an oil related issue with any of my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back