What next for 04 CRV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my last UOA, 10k miles on GTX 5W30. As you can see, it was pretty good (and the second 10k interval for that oil type/weight).

Per the requests in that thread, I had a good look inside the VC (only thru the fill-hole though) and it looks fine to me; a little varnish, but absolutely no visible sludge.

I'm coming up on 110k and will need to change the oil soon; looking for input on what to use.

On the one hand it would make good sense to stay with GTX (if it ain't broke...) but there was enough disbelief that GTX could go 10k that I wonder if there's a superior conventional alternative.

Oil filter is the Japanese stock Honda.

Driving is a total mix- plenty city, plenty highway. Given that I have two cars and that I (since January) work from home I need an oil that will work for summer and winter both.

Driving habits are harder than average. My other car is a Porsche and this car with a 5 speed requires flogging to keep up with traffic; nicking the rev-limiter is an everyday occurrence.

I don't believe (and evidence supports me) that a synthetic is warranted.

What else should I look at? M5k? PYB? Havoline? I don't pay as much attention as I once did, so I'm really not familiar with what the high-rated conventional are at this point in time, so thanks in advance for any input!

(I will get a UOA on from this last GTX run at around 9700mi so I'll have that info before changing.)

Peace,
Robert

I personally don't like the current Honda oil filters. The Genuine OEM Kia/Hyundai oil filters fit on and can be had for about $5.00 each. Metal end caps, silicone anti-drainback valve, heavy canister, and a decent filter media has me sold. Kia/Hyundai gives a 100,000 mile warranty on their engines so the oil filter must perform reasonably well.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I personally don't like the current Honda oil filters. The Genuine OEM Kia/Hyundai oil filters fit on and can be had for about $5.00 each. Metal end caps, silicone anti-drainback valve, heavy canister, and a decent filter media has me sold. Kia/Hyundai gives a 100,000 mile warranty on their engines so the oil filter must perform reasonably well.

Metal end caps are old technology...today's composite oil filters are superior in every way and environmentally friendly. Plus the fact that Honda says you can go two intervals on one of their filters leads me to believe they are twice as good as the Hyundai/KIA filters. Besides if he is under warranty and has a problem they could deny him for using a different manufacturers part that is not designed for his engine.

I agree, nothing wrong with "fiber" end caps for a normal OCI. Im going to cut open my Honda OEM A02 in a couple months (on the car now) to see how it held up. First time using a filter with paper end caps, but I have confidence its doing the job just fine. Hers is one after 6400 miles.
2Honeywellc.jpg

2Honeywellb.jpg

The paper end caps held up great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back