What new cars have intelligently placed oil fillers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I have had some tough ones and honestly after one changing they are all easy. But if not invest 30 bucks in a set of Rhino Ramps and this tool
 -

and you'll be ready for anything

Don't see how that is going to help me pour the oil in the filLer hole.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
The worst I've seen was my old 1986 Oldsmobile 98 with the 3.8L. The filter was on the back passenger side directly above the frame rail. The brilliant GM engineers of the 80's decided against relocating the filter to a more suitable location, and thought it was better to split the frame rail into 2 halves in that area so you could have just enough room to stick your hand through and grab the filter. The problem was you had no leverage. And even after you struggled to loosen the filter, you ended up with oil running down your arm all they way to your shirt sleeve.
banghead.gif

That's how my filter is and it's not that bad. A little oil drains on the frame, but it's easily cleaned with a rag. There are many 1000 times worse then this so consider yourself lucky.

-T

Sorry mis-read filler as "filter" oops! I can tell you that while the location is ok on my 03 Camry the design sucks!!! It is right on top of the valve cover. The lip that keeps dirt out of the filler hole is so close to that stupid plastic engine cover that you can not clean the dirt away before you take the cap off. THe angle of the engine combined with the fact that the internal valve cover baffle is raight at the top of the oil fill can make life diffacult as well. You really have to pour the oil in slowly and you can not use a funnle. The baffle prevents inseration of a funnle!!

To date the best oil fill set up I have seen is on the Dodge 4.7V8 a drunk monkey could put oil in it and not make a mess!! My moms Tundra is not bad since a funnel easily fits in it and it is right on top of the valve cover.

My BMW 540i has it all. Cartridge style filter element right on the front of the engine. No mess, just pop the lid, grab the element with a Zip-loc plastic bag and you're done. The oil fill is on the other side of the engine and it's a fairly large, square hole that makes it virtually impossible to spill the oil due to the hole's size. The drain on the pan is up front and does not require lifting the car to get at it
fruit.gif
. BTW she takes NINE quarts! All around it makes for a quick and easy oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Sorry mis-read filler as "filter" oops! I can tell you that while the location is ok on my 03 Camry the design sucks!!! It is right on top of the valve cover. The lip that keeps dirt out of the filler hole is so close to that stupid plastic engine cover that you can not clean the dirt away before you take the cap off. THe angle of the engine combined with the fact that the internal valve cover baffle is raight at the top of the oil fill can make life diffacult as well. You really have to pour the oil in slowly and you can not use a funnle. The baffle prevents inseration of a funnle!!

To date the best oil fill set up I have seen is on the Dodge 4.7V8 a drunk monkey could put oil in it and not make a mess!! My moms Tundra is not bad since a funnel easily fits in it and it is right on top of the valve cover.

Looks like several of us made that same mistake. The Dodge's do have a large filler tube, which of course has it's own issues(foam). My one complaint with my 3800s is that they put the oil cap too close to the dipstick so when using a large funnel it's hard to get the dipstick in and out.

My votes for bad fillers are Toyota's and others with objects blocking the oils path. Also Chryslers older ratcheting caps don't seem to last that long.

-T

All three of our Toyotas (Echo, Corolla, Prius) are easy to fill - right on top of the engine. Oil filters are also well placed and easy to do, as long as you have the filter cap style wrench. I always look at the easy access to spark plugs, oil filler, oil filter, air filter access when buying a car after suffering through 2 Caravans. Toyota sems to be the best for DIYers.

Subarus are good. The filter is on the bottom facing up (so you can can fill them up, if you choose to) right next to the drain plug. The oil filler tube is at the front of the engine.

Only problem is its hard to read the dipstick.

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:
Subarus are good. The filter is on the bottom facing up (so you can can fill them up, if you choose to) right next to the drain plug. The oil filler tube is at the front of the engine.

I'll second that. I put a fumoto valve on my WRX and I can change the oil and filter without tools or jacking it up. Just reach under to flip the valve to drain, close it, reach back under and remove and replace the filter and back topside to fill it. Nice...

78 toyota celica ..could change the oil without jacking the car up ..and just reah down in the engune comartment to change the filter ,,,filler hole easy ..right on top

Every manufactorer has it's bad ones and it's good ones. Ford and Toyota like to put filters next to exhaust components which can be painful. GM puts them in a hard to reach spot on some cars, VW puts stuff in the way, Honda and Mazda put them on the back of the engine, ect, ect.

-T

late 70's through late 80's subaru 1.6 and 1.8 engines had a drain plug inthe front of the pan and the filter was at the front of the engine. you could change the oil without crawling under the car at all!

Easiest was my 2002 dodge Ram 4.7. The truck had a built in funnle/ramp for the oil to dip on to after taking off the filter. The filter it self os right in fron tof the engine and very easy to reach. I never needed a wrench to get it off. I could get a good grip and just hand tightent or take it off.

Dumbest one is my current 2004 monte Carlo SS Supercharged Dale Earnhardt Jr Signature Series. 3.8 litre filter right over passenger fram rail and A-arm... Sweet!

I also find part of the problem is that you don't know which way the oil is going to go until you start pouring it. I had my 0w40 in the back of my car and it surprised me this morning...it hugged the opening of the jug and came towards me instead of flowing away so I totally missed the hole.
spaz.gif
If the oil had been inside overnight things would have gone differently.

Cheers, Steve

Opened the hood of our '05 Corolla yesterday for the first time and the filter is right in front of the enegine with easy access.
Ordered a Fumoto drain plug.
A 15 minute easy oil change!
Toyota...Oh what a feeling!
Thank you,Toyota engineers.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back