What my Wife is looking at while I am out of town

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
My Wife says these guys have been flying just feet from the water the past few days. She is seeing these choppers flying like crazy this week. Found this video filmed yesterday, she says the video doesn't reflect how close the birds get to the water and the maneuvers they are practicing.

On a side note, last week I was sitting on the couch late evening, and felt a huge shudder, the couch felt like it moved, it was a rotary wing aircraft so close to the house, it shook the house like an earthquake.....

When I first moved to Atlanta my apartment was less than a mile from the end of a runway at Dobbins AFB (aka NAS Atlanta). Lockheed Martin also had a presence there since 1995 and it's where they assemble F22, F35 ,etc. Boy did it get noisy with the F18's doing touch-n-goes, F22's testing, C130 and C5 coming and going.

A few years ago a guy stole a plane from the Seattle airport and crashed it at Ketron Island lake. I bet they're searching for debris as either a training mission or possibly the new MARSOC Raider group doing procedures. Watch the news and see what pops up. Using in-flight refuel capable sea stallions or Chinooks is telling. Of course, I'm just babbling since there's not a lot to be derived from the videos.

I used to live a stones throw from a military base in the 80's. I was always quiet for the most part. Suddenly in 1981 when the new President of the United States took office the place began swirling with aircraft as the rebuilding of the military took place. This began to occur about three weeks after he was sworn in.

On a side note, last week I was sitting on the couch late evening, and felt a huge shudder, the couch felt like it moved, it was a rotary wing aircraft so close to the house, it shook the house like an earthquake.....

The interesting appeal of that would wear off quickly...

These guys fly low over my beach house all the time. Maybe they are scouting out real estate.

osprey.jpg

That looks like a US Army MH-47, which is used for special operations. I think those are based out of Fort Campbell, KY, but the special operations community uses them for training and operations all over the world.
The special forces air cav group is based in Washington State. Special unit that only flies Special forces ops. The best pilots.

I’m spending this month in the FL panhandle and the other am the house shook and quivered twice. Thought it was an earthquake but I’m close to Elgin AFB. Fighters and trainers are always flying over.
Thought maybe they were after a Chynese balloon.

While we were walking the dogs the other evening an Osprey flew by fairly low and slow. The rotors were tipped maybe 20 degrees forward. The difference in noise between approaching and departing is amazing. You can feel the beats on approach.

While we were walking the dogs the other evening an Osprey flew by fairly low and slow. The rotors were tipped maybe 20 degrees forward. The difference in noise between approaching and departing is amazing. You can feel the beats on approach.

Those were actually considered for large offshore platforms until the military demonstrated why not …

Our local National Guard will fly Chinook helicopters once in a while. It is deafening when they are low. The windows in our house rattle. They are cool however.

Just my $0.02

Our local National Guard will fly Chinook helicopters once in a while. It is deafening when they are low. The windows in our house rattle. They are cool however.

Just my $0.02
I never realized how much ch 47s (Chinook) can make a house feel like it is in a earthquake when the bird is buzzing the house.

In 2002 I had a super bad experience in a ch 47, and have tried to avoid them ever since.

A couple of years ago the wife and I were in a day trip going over White Pass. (Beautiful drive in the summer)

A few of those eggbeaters as we call them were flying low and through the canyons. It was impressive. I had to be cautious though and not forget about driving.

Reactions: GON
I'm in Jupiter, FL on the West side of town, my house backs up to the NENA (NorthEast Everglades Natural Area) and I'm on the East side of the Class D airspace for Gwinn airport (mil test stuff). This thing and others would regularly fly behind my house in their "test" airspace.

Some of this video was taken right behind my house.

Back