What mufflers and glasspacks are good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of sound, durability/longevity/reliability, etc.

Cherry Bomb, Walker/Dynomax, Purple Hornie, Jones, Magnaflow, Flowmaster.

Yeah I know there's Borla, but they're expensive.

My car is a 1996 ES300 (Camry V6) 1MZ with 2.25-in diameter exhaust. There are no bolt-on catbacks for the 1MZ engine.

My exhaust has gotten loud due to an exhaust leak. It could be the resonator, or the stupid flex pipes again (oil leaking dissolved one of the braided pipes). I have not gotten a chance to look under the car yet.

I have a Walker Quiet flow muffler, its very nice and quiet, but its not full stainless and it started surface rusting nearly instantly. I guess it should out last the car though.

I am sold on the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler as being very durable and having a very nice tone with enough volume to enjoy it. I am running one on my 2001 Ranger 2.3L and it is not the least bit ricy sounding. Also flows pretty well. My old Aerostar minivan is still running one that I installed about 8 years ago. My son has one on his S10 too. Its the only muffler we will buy at my house.

I have had a glasspack on an oldsmobile firenza, which I bought new. Then put it on a Pontiac sunbird. Then a old Chevy truck. The thing lasted longer than 3 vehicles. It is still on the old truck at my grandpa's. This thing was on a vehicle for 16 years. I'm sure the insides are completely gone. The thing Made all those vehicles sound awesome. cherry bomb from Canadian tire for 39$

Evillamotorsport makes axle back exhaust for kia/hyundai and I plan on buying one to improve mpg and sound. Spend 8hrs in a car each day and even xm radio becomes tiresome.

i've used Summit and Cherrybomb glasspacks.

as far as mufflers go......none of my vehicles have mufflers
laugh.gif

I love glasspack mufflers. Done right, they sound like perfection!

However, there are many without smooth flowing internals. Look inside of what you are buying and make sure they use perforated sheet metal, without louvers or "bumps". Otherwise, you are simply installing a restrictive and loud muffler.

Dynomax makes some very high quality mufflers for a reasonable price.

Again, my suggestion is to look at what you are buying. Manufacturers often change design, and/or source for the muffler, so what was "good" yesterday, is not the same today.

Also, an "oval" glasspack will be a bit quieter and have a more refined sound, when compared to a round one.

Dynomax Ultraflow stainless is my suggestion, oval.

A longer glasspack will sound deeper , better. The short ones sound raspy and poppy. I have one on the olds, and on my son's sc1, it gets 42 hwy with the 15 inch wheels from a 93 sc2 and the glasspack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I am sold on the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler as being very durable and having a very nice tone with enough volume to enjoy it. I am running one on my 2001 Ranger 2.3L and it is not the least bit ricy sounding. Also flows pretty well. My old Aerostar minivan is still running one that I installed about 8 years ago. My son has one on his S10 too. Its the only muffler we will buy at my house.

+1

The Dynomax super-turbo is perfect. I have had the cat-back system on my Cherokee for around 2 years. The tone is perfect, it is enough to know it isn't stock without being loud and obnoxious or overpowering inside. Loud exhaust is cool until you have to drive home from work with a migraine or drive through a quiet neighborhood late at night.

Don't get a flowmaster, they are overpriced pieces of junk. The welds for the internal baffles rust out after a year and they start rattling.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: TallPaul

+1

The Dynomax super-turbo is perfect. I have had the cat-back system on my Cherokee for around 2 years. The tone is perfect, it is enough to know it isn't stock without being loud and obnoxious or overpowering inside. Loud exhaust is cool until you have to drive home from work with a migraine or drive through a quiet neighborhood late at night.

Don't get a flowmaster, they are overpriced pieces of junk. The welds for the internal baffles rust out after a year and they start rattling.

Also, Flowmaster is just an excuse for not having a muffler but being able to point to a thing under your car that looks like a muffler in hopes on not getting a ticket for no muffler. My Ranger had a Flowmaster 40 on it at one time and it was horrible the noise just cruising though the neighborhood was obnoxiously loud.

My Dynomax Super turbo is louder because I got rid of the resonator. I simply put the Dynomax on the pipe and then ran a short pipe turned out in front of the rear tire. My son's has the resonator and full tailpipe and is quieter.

The Dynomax Super Turbo gives full diameter thorughtout. Last time I looked into a Cherry Bomb it was much smaller diameter inside than at the openings.

Another vote for the Dynomax Super Turbo. I first ran these 30 years ago. Have been using them ever since.

Not sure I'd agree about the Flowmasters. The 40 series are way too loud for average street use in my opinion, but that's not the only muffler they make.

I'm considering a Flowmaster 70 series Big block II for my Ford truck. They have a real low, mellow sound on an older, stock engine. But just one. That or a Dynomax Super Turbo- one of my personal favs... I may even replace the old pellet converter that's still on there with a modern catalytic converter.

I used a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on my 2003 Saturn ION, along with a 4 inch round Magnaflow as a resonator.

It made a little more noise than stock, but the increase in power was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back