What mower to replace my MTD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MTD you had of 20 years ago is not the same MTD of today. A similar mower today will last a fraction of that 20 years, closer to 5-6 on average before major repairs are needed.

Best option? Find a commercial zero turn. If you cant afford a new one, you can usually get them at a great price at the end/beginning of the season from lawn care operators that are buying new equipment. Check Craigslist and your local shops for a nice used commercial unit.

X-300 sounds good, but what is a "18.5 hp (13.8 kW)* iTorque™ Power System". Smells Chinese to me. Chinese on an MTD push mower may be OK, but not on a $3,000 to $4,000 Lawn Tractor.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
X-300 sounds good, but what is a "18.5 hp (13.8 kW)* iTorque™ Power System". Smells Chinese to me. Chinese on an MTD push mower may be OK, but not on a $3,000 to $4,000 Lawn Tractor.

Deere doesn't advertise what brand any of their gas engines are. They tell in a few places what brand of diesel they don't make are. They are not Chonda motors.

The X series are nice, I've got a lot of seat time in both an X495 and an X595 (they are small diesel mowers) and they are just fantastic little tractors. The steering is excellent, they will cut through insanely deep and dense grass.....etc. And the cut quality is also excellent.

Based on the ones I've worked on and owned, a 20+ yr/old MTD riding mower is pretty much the same 'quality-wise' as the ones built today.

I've worked on some old MTD, Murray and Sears units that were horrid in terms of steering and deck components.

Real gear drives are pretty much a thing of the past on consumer grade riders. I'd just avoid MTD transmatics. Often termed "automatic". If it's got a ground speed control pedal or lever and a separate lever for F-N-R, that's a transmatic. AKA, belt and variator drive.

I'd get one of the new CVT drives before a transmatic. Again, this is just based on the ones I've had the misfortune of working on.

Like said above, pretty much everything in the ~$3K and under crowd is the same.

I used to recommend Cub 2500 machines when they were under $3K. Real nice steering on them, heavy frames, heavy deck hardware, shaft drive and easy to service cast iron rear diff. I think they're overpriced now and would probably go the Deere route for that kind of money.

Last edited:
I have a 1999 Dixon Estate 5424 ZTR(42" cut) as well as a 2007 Cub Cadet Commercial Enforcer ZTR(54" cut). The Dixon has a B&S Intek twin while the Cub has a Kawasaki twin. Both are great mowers. I have to cut a bit over 2.5 acres and the two mowers let me get the entire job done in @90 minutes(anything I can't reach with either mower gets hit with a heavy dose of Roundup).

Originally Posted By: slomo
Another craftsman vote with the 54 inch deck. No need to spend mega thousands for a personal yard.

Yep, mine was under 2 grand on sale. Included delivery. I spent a bit in the garage tightening and tweaking first, now have just over 100 hours of completely trouble free mowing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back