What mileage should I go to Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5000 mi on my new superstroker so far. Just bought 16qts of 10w40 Royal Purple at $3.99 each. I previously purchased 3 gal jugs of Delo 15w40 and currently using that. Now after I switch over, if I still have any 15w40 Delo 400 left, can I top off my Royal Purple with it. Plan to do 6-8k oil changes with a filter change in between.
BTW, I can't wait to feel the xtra engine smoothness everyone is mentioning when switching to RP.
smile.gif

If it were my motor I would change over now and not mix the two oils .Use the Chevron in something else or save it for a rainy day,,capped up tight it will store well. For best performance I would use the first run of RP to only say 4500 miles because of the residual oil left over. The next runs could probably go farther after a look through analysis at 5k or so.It will depend on how hard the car is driven as to how many miles to oil will go.

Thats a heck of a price on that oil if it the # 41 Race oil .

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
If it were my motor I would change over now and not mix the two oils .Use the Chevron in something else or save it for a rainy day,,capped up tight it will store well. For best performance I would use the first run of RP to only say 4500 miles because of the residual oil left over. The next runs could probably go farther after a look through analysis at 5k or so.It will depend on how hard the car is driven as to how many miles to oil will go.

Thats a heck of a price on that oil if it the # 41 Race oil .

It was the regular 10w40. At NAPA where I got it from, the ricerockets have been switching over from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple and buying it by the case. SOTP feeling does sell oil with those guys!

I'm still curious as to why Royal Purple claims a horsepower boost when switching to their oil. When going from another oil of the same viscosity, I can't see it being possible, yet they often say how their oil will give 10 extra horsepower.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm still curious as to why Royal Purple claims a horsepower boost when switching to their oil. When going from another oil of the same viscosity, I can't see it being possible, yet they often say how their oil will give 10 extra horsepower.
dunno.gif

Friction modifiers?
Since they don't have to comply with API ratings, they can put other stuff in their oil for better performance. Those rice guys felt the difference and switched.

But Royal Purple isn't really using any technology that other high end synthetics aren't also using, and none of them claim more power. And RP is API certified, at least the 5w30 and 10w30 street oils are. The 5w30 bottles I have right here all say that they are certified.

[ December 16, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
But Royal Purple isn't really using any technology that other high end synthetics aren't also using, and none of them claim more power. And RP is API certified, at least the 5w30 and 10w30 street oils are. The 5w30 bottles I have right here all say that they are certified.

Mine just doesn't have the current SL ratings. I thought both Amsoil and Redline advertise more hp. I know the a corvette forum did a test on Redline and showed more hp.

Patman I came across an article in Hot Rod mag. at my mechanics shop while I was waiting for some service. I think it was a summer issue in 2002. They tested Royal purple fluids in the engine, tranny, and diff. vs. conventional oil, on some high power muscle car. They gained 10 whp on the dyno just from changing fluids to Royal Purple. Dunno how accurate magazine tests really are when promoting products, but I found it interesting nonetheless. In terms of oil analysis testing the Royal Purple doesn't seem to test any better than other oils from what I have seen. To each their own I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back