What manufacturers say about long OCI filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents;

I've finally setteled on using the M1 EP for the published interval (15K or 1 year). So what filter to use?

Interestingly, Mobil's site says "no special filter" or "more frequent filter changes" are required. So, theoretically you could grab a fram or supertech or Advance Auto and go 15K or 1 year on it.

Well, I asked Purolator and WIX what they thought about using their filters for that interval w/ M1 EP and here's what they said:

Purolator:
Purolator does not recommend using any Purolator filter longer than the manufacturer's oil change interval recommendations in your vehicle owner's
manual. While synthetic oil does not break down or "coke out" as natural oil does, the combustion process of an internal combustion engine does not change. That process still puts contaminants into the oil stream, and the
oil filter is still the only means of removing those contaminants. Thus, even with synthetic oils, Purolator recommends changing the oil filter at normal intervals and topping off the oil to maintain proper fill.

WIX said basically the same thing...change more often or it will clog (lost the email, ****).

So, I found some M1 EP filters and bought them instead.

I would think that the most conservative advice from the oil filter manufacturers would be the safe bet.

I have used Red Line for years (until this next change) and for the two cars that use oem filters, I change them @ 6 months. (Rabbit has a Canton filter)

Look at it this way; Comparing the cost of engine repairs to the price of an oil filter... Anyone remember the Fram commercial - Pay Me Now Or Pay Me Later?

Jeff

So, if you wanted to run it for 15k, what's to stop you from doing what purolator suggests? Buy a couple of AA filters, change it halfway through, top off?

quote:

Originally posted by Alex P.:
So, if you wanted to run it for 15k, what's to stop you from doing what purolator suggests? Buy a couple of AA filters, change it halfway through, top off?

I agree, that is my plan for one car (I have another AA on the shelf for it right now). In future, I'm going to run the Mobil1 EP filters the advertised distance (15K or 1 yr) when I can get them. Probably evens out monetarily, but time is money for me...would rather not change midway if I don't have to.

Honda has no problems with filters under normal duty going 15K for V6 engines, 20K for I4 engines. They recommend oil filter changes every other oil change. VW in the late '80s had a similar recommendation. BMW, GM, Honda and other Oil Life Monitor system users must not have issues with Mobil's approach, either.

So why does Purolater or Wix balk? Probably because they haven't conducted testing to the point that they won't worry about lawsuits. It seems to me that Mobil takes them off the hook with their guarantee, but if I were a oil filter manufacturer, I wouldn't take that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back