What makes GC special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to AZ and asked for German Castrol. The answer I received was, 'huh'. The guy said that, since I drive an SUV (4Runner) that I should use a specialized SUV oil, that I should not worry about using a 'regular' oil. So, that was the end of that. It makes me think that finding real 0w-30 GC, now, is a snipe hunt. I'll bet you it's available on eBay, what do you think?

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
I went to AZ and asked for German Castrol. The answer I received was, 'huh'.

No one outside of the internet community likely calls Castrol Syntec 0w-30 "German Castrol". So asking for it by that name will result in a lot of blank stares.

As SSDude mentions above, just look for Syntec 0w-30, then turn the bottle around and look for "Made in Germany" on the label.

LarryL,

A special oil for Hybrids!
I like it, I like it...
shocked.gif

I'm working on the ad copy even as I type
wink.gif

The reason the this Castrol 0w-30 is so good is that the Brits are having the Germans brew it up for them.
smile.gif
I'm sure you are familar with Lucas Electronics, ie the Prince of Darkness?

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
I went to AZ and asked for German Castrol. The answer I received was, 'huh'. The guy said that, since I drive an SUV (4Runner) that I should use a specialized SUV oil, that I should not worry about using a 'regular' oil. So, that was the end of that. It makes me think that finding real 0w-30 GC, now, is a snipe hunt. I'll bet you it's available on eBay, what do you think?

They could have had it on a shelf and never even known it. To be certain, you must make the search yourself. Besides, like a snipe hunt, the looking is half the fun.

Remember when you could only buy Coors Beer West of the Mississippi? Everyone wanted it and some people would drive a van across the river and load up with the stuff! Remember Smokey and the Bandit? Now that you can buy Coors beer almost anywhere it isn't in demand like it once was. But I am stocking up on GC!

I'm just gonna chill and be content with my 24 qt stash for the moment. I can't keep hoarding all the GC in my area for a couple of reasons:
1. Don't know how well my car will like it, and (most importantly) 2. My wife will
twak.gif
if she finds this huge stash of motor oil in my (dare I say) garage. If it turns out to be all good then let the hoarding commence
grin.gif
. But if my car don't take a liking to it, then I guess I'll sell it to someone on here if they want it (I'm sure that won't be a difficult thing to do).
lol.gif

Not to rain on anyones excitement but as far as the Zoil GCMS test I want to make it clear that I do not promote or get excited about a brand name.

The chemistry , theory of formulation ,and actual performance is what "BLOWS MY SKIRT UP" !
dunno.gif

If Schaeffers, Amsoil, XOM, Valvoline,Royal Purple, Redline,COP,RDShell, WHOEVER, would make a similar move in advanced chemistry for PCMO or HDD lubes I would get excited.

I SUSPECT that the marketers of ZOIL may have purchased this product from a formulator in europe , and that they don't even know as much as we do NOW about the molecular structure of what MAY have been a FILL IN the GAP product for Euro applications.

Comments like glowing, warm, elves, love, etc. had NOTHING to do with the proprietary report for BITOG contributors.

I am proud of everyones restraint on sharing protected info but it is OK to talk in generalities around the test for the rest of the gang here.

Terry

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
A cult has since formed around leader pscholte and his posse of greasy Schwarzwald elves.
tongue.gif

Round 'em up...move 'em out
grin.gif
In all fairness, if you have been reading Terry's test result "previews," this oil is pretty exotic technologically/chemically. It REALLY ISN'T just an ordinary oil.
cheers.gif

From what I have read and noticed, I would have to agree, this sounds like it is not just your mother's off the shelf M1. The only thing I am afraid of is that when it lost the green, that more than the additives changed. I bet the amber is still better than the NA or even the Belgium stuff, but afraid it might have lost some of those "special" esters. Oh, and Terry is super for putting his expertise into this!

I cleared out the Autozone on VallyView in Carrolton. It has restocked since, but with M0504x gold stuff. All the other AutoZones I've check around Richardson/plano/colony either done have 0W30 or have the old USA versions.

Ted you are cracking me up and don't know how close to reality you are !

"I'm sure you are familar with Lucas Electronics, ie the Prince of Darkness?" Slick..

Good one Bro !!

Where are all you BITOG NE Texas lurkers coming from.......you never cared about oil before, when I needed a job...

quote:

Why would a manufacturer put an additive in their oil that could potentially cause hard deposits

Cost.

Terry, you wouldn't put Redline is the same exotic league as GC?

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

I SUSPECT that the marketers of ZOIL may have purchased this product from a formulator in europe , and that they don't even know as much as we do NOW about the molecular structure of what MAY have been a FILL IN the GAP product for Euro applications.

Terry

I 100% agree with your suspicion, it would answer a lot of questions concerning the inconsistencies with the rest of their oil line. But do you SUSPECT that the new formulation is from the same formulator?

-T

Terry,

Now that you know what is in the stuff, is there anyone you know of that would be willing to make this stuff in their own labs?

I think most of us would be willing to buy it ( so long as they added green dye ).
grin.gif

Thanks

With regard to the M0502 batch that had elevated levels of Mg. Why would a manufacturer put an additive in their oil that could potentially cause hard deposits. My take on this, is that the chemistry used is stable and should not cause deposits. In this case the Mg is being used as an added friction modifier/ dispersant.
I vaguely remember someone here saying that the type of Mg used is important to note.
Can someone clear this up.

[ May 04, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: luvs2drive ]

You're the one who has been buying it all up in NE Texas ! Where do you live , exactly ??
grin.gif

Getting that PAO ester component is the key, then properly formulating the final product.

I'll promise this. When I find a similar product I will let all know at BITOG.

Terry

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
You're the one who has been buying it all up in NE Texas ! Where do you live , exactly ??
grin.gif

Getting that PAO ester component is the key, then properly formulating the final product.

I'll promise this. When I find a similar product I will let all know at BITOG.

Terry

Terry, is it likely that the production costs on GC (as tested) would be on the high side of the equation?
dunno.gif

Terry,

Off of 224 on FM 2736, between Greenville and Commerce.

I'll be monitoring the boards to see when someone does find a GC replacement. I commute to Richardson for work, so I need the extra protection and fuel economy this stuff has.

I scowered the local AZ, no M04 on my first try (so I bet there are secret BITOGers around us
cool.gif
).

I have hit a few around work and come up empty, too. There was a relatively new AZ in Wylie I hit and I scored 14 qts. I still have more AZ's I'll hit around Mesquite and Dallas before I give up.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back