What Makes Fuel Dilution So Harmful?

Fuel dilution is not bad, 2 cycle motors are an example of that. BUT, it is different. Needs a different construction, tend to use needle and ball bearings. They also do not have highly loaded chains and camshaft lifter to wear. There is why you do not want in a 4 stroke.

Rod

its not necessarily terrible until you get around 5%+

also if its blackstone they typically under report it.. due to the indirect "testing" method.

In engines known for heavy fuel dilution I'm a believer in using 1 grade thicker oil. ie 5w30 instead of 5w20

Not to hijack thread, but kind of related:
Would you expect higher level of oil on dipstick if engine fuel dilutes its oil?

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Would you expect higher level of oil on dipstick if engine fuel dilutes its oil?

Yes.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I would also assume that fuel dilution (gasoline) reduces TBN because it accelerates acid production in the oil. The combination of reduced viscosity and potential reduced TBN lowers overall life of the oil.

Can you explain how you think that would happen?

Nope...the key word was "assume". Can you explain it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Nope...the key word was "assume". Can you explain it?

No not really. It just seemed like an interesting assumption and I figured there was a reason for doing so.

FWIW, Honda was called on the carpet in the Chinese market for fuel dilution in its 1.5T engine, which is sold and earned a fuel dilution here reputation as well.

In Honda's official response to Chinese consumers it outlined the level of fuel dilution at varying sump levels. Long story short, Honda said the engine was perfectly happy operating with fuel dilution of 25% and engine damage wouldn't occur until dilution reached 33%. If Honda is being absolutely honest, we should rethink the whole concept of what fuel dilution means. IF Honda is being absolutely honest...

Originally Posted by Danh
FWIW, Honda was called on the carpet in the Chinese market for fuel dilution in its 1.5T engine, which is sold and earned a fuel dilution here reputation as well.

In Honda's official response to Chinese consumers it outlined the level of fuel dilution at varying sump levels. Long story short, Honda said the engine was perfectly happy operating with fuel dilution of 25% and engine damage wouldn't occur until dilution reached 33%. If Honda is being absolutely honest, we should rethink the whole concept of what fuel dilution means. IF Honda is being absolutely honest...

Tends to go against the information indicated by some of the UOA companies.

Originally Posted by Donald
Gas is a solvent and not a lubricant.

Gasoline has lubricity in it.

Like diesel, some of the fuel injection components is lubricated by the fuel itself... but that's off topic, because those components are designed with that in mind.

Digging around on this … Amsoil and Total made similar comments or about it causing earlier oxidation …
More of a "claim" without the chemistry …
Well, I'm thinking a Fumoto valve and a fresh/thicker quart would be an easy pit stop especially if your vehicle is high enough. (I did not need ramps for my filter change/SAE HD30 top up I just posted)

Only they are in "neat" form … and the chemical formulas are intact …

Originally Posted by mahanddeem

Yes, I gain 1/2 qt plus of fuel in my oil and after the fast first rise in the first 1,000 miles, it tapers off and rises very slowly to the 3,000 mile dump mark.

Also the guy I was working with at Polaris Labs had a business owner who had 35 delivery vans and through a very expensive test that can test more then 5% fuel. They est. it was 7 to 9% , and followed those vans into 100,000 mile plus mileage with no abnormal wear.

Also, I might add here too, with 5%plus fuel dilution, I am being hard on my car with full load 18 to 20 lbs of boost at 1,400 rpm going through the gears and still no wear. I am not driving it like a Grandpa or a common driver does.

Back