What makes European car oil special......Volkswagen ratings, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The standard for VW's specs starting about 12 years ago (since 504/507 came out) isn't that they can handle a 10k interval. It's that they can handle a 20k interval (actually, 30k kilometres). Not all markets take advantage of the longer interval due to types of fuel in those markets, or other factors. But in many markets they are approved for 20k intervals, or two years.

Additionally, until the newer spec 0w20 oils recently came out (508, LL-17FE+ etc), Euro specs had a much higher HTHS requirement than standard API oils. A 5w30 meeting the main euro specs would be still be minimum 3.5 HTHS.
VW specs. that could do 30k km dates back to VW502.00 but only on certain markets. That standard does not have anything to do with oil, but specific market. VW determines OCI based on specific market. In Europe, even within EU you will have different recommendation by VW or other manufacturers.

VW specs. that could do 30k km dates back to VW502.00 but only on certain markets. That standard does not have anything to do with oil, but specific market. VW determines OCI based on specific market. In Europe, even within EU you will have different recommendation by VW or other manufacturers.

Well good luck with that with API SJ conventional. I will contend that the specs do have something to do with drain Interval. Many of the tests are specifically targeted at factors that effect drain Interval.

Just to be clear, GM used to collect royalty fees for Dexos long time ago. Now they just charge a one time approval fee, just like everyone else.

Reactions: SR5
And then they complain that German cars are unreliable. :)

Although I think some quickie lube places do use the correct oil.
Yep, heading to NAPA by the end of the month to buy another case of M1 ESP 5W30 504/507 for 6 bucks a quart. Can't go wrong at the price. I hold the Red Line Euro and Ravenol VMP in Reserve for my personal vehicle. Everyone else gets the cheaper oil.

I did not know you could get a VW 504 over the counter at Napa. Only thing I have found locally is AAP with Pennzoils 0w30 LX.

I like Napa, they have a lot of stuff for German cars most places don't.

I did not know you could get a VW 504 over the counter at Napa. Only thing I have found locally is AAP with Pennzoils 0w30 LX.

I like Napa, they have a lot of stuff for German cars most places don't.

Well I was going to stop in the morning but they are now out of stock. I can wait until the next time it's on sale. I won't give them full price, $13.49 a quart. I am prepared oil wise until next spring anyways....

It's a way to void warranties and make a little extra profit for the oil companies off the top for those who lease, and Euro cars happen to be built in a way that leasing can be compelling compared to straight up buying....

If I’m reading that Lubzoil chart it looks like VW508 has more protection and cleaning over dexos 1 gen2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back