What makes a SYN oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I just was talking to a mate of mine that is quite deep in with an oil company here in Aust.

He pointed out a interesting point to me about Syn and Min oils, that I thought I would see what you guy's all thought.

Now keep in mind were talking about the two in the same vis, just to keep it far.

mineral vs synthetic.
It's really hard to make generalisations about product quality if we're
just talking mineral vs synthetic.
For example, (and both of these examples do exist) It is possible to go out and make a fairly borderline quality oil, throw in 5 or 10% of a synthetic base oil and call it
Semi-Synthetic and pretend that it is something special that out performance Mineral's.

It is also possible to spend a lot of time and effort making a really good
mineral oil that is much better than the oil above.

mineral oils are not mineral oils.
There is the basic mineral oil that has been around for 100 years. Then there are more highly refined versions that are relatively new technology that are much much better than the traditional mineral base oil. Using these oils as a base, you can do much more with the product than when you use the 'old
style' oil as a base - you have a much better starting point.

SO what I'm wondering: I guess what you could say is that for eg only,
that Valvoline's Dura Blend 15w 50 as a semi Syn could not be as good as say
BP's Visco 3000 15w 50 as a Quality Mineral?

And from the consumer point of view there is no real way of being able to
tell if borderline
quality oil, has just had 5 or 10% of a synthetic base oil and the company
call it Semi-Synthetic and tell you it' there top product is there.

Also to add does anyone know what Group Dura Blend is classed as?

Very good post! Hopefully we will see some good input on it. A lot of the mineral oils are VERY good. I would call a semi syn what it is: a group 2 and group 4 mix, or a group 2 and group 3 mix. Just call it what it is.

Not being afriad to sound dumb, what is the Timkens? I seen you mention it a few times and I've wondeirng what it is and does.

Oil bath with a Timken bearing that presses onto a rotating shaft is a simple way to put it. Torque wrench shows how much pressure can an oil handle. Check oil for anti-wear etc when cold, or hot and inbetween. All oils behave differently and some you expect to do well come up short. All Pennzoils tested have done well. BP Visco 3000 & 5000 and Visco Autogas, Mobil 1 0W40, Redline, Fuchs etc great too. Hope that helps?

quote:

Originally posted by Francis:

And from the consumer point of view there is no real way of being able to
tell if borderline
quality oil, has just had 5 or 10% of a synthetic base oil and the company
call it Semi-Synthetic and tell you it' there top product is there.

Also to add does anyone know what Group Dura Blend is classed as?

It is like "Kona blend" coffee, five percent Kona and it is legal.

The USA MSDS for Valvoline Durablend 15W-40 states 51-61 percent solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic distillate [Group I] and 23-33 percent hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate [Group III].

For my money, Chevron [or Caltex] Delo 400 is a better value with Group II+ base stock instead of a Group I and III blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back