What makes a car E85 proof ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The L67 and L36 have fuel injectors in different locations. You couldn't use the L67 fuel rails on an L36. If you are serious about doing this, go go clubgp or regalgs and read.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
By 2000 all the rubbers are ethanol resistant.

The polymers have been E10-compliant since the '70s. Above E10, definitely NOT FOR SURE.

For example, we have a 2013 Toyota RAV4 with labeling that is quite emphatic in its warning against the use of anything over E10.

Check your Owner's Manual.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
First, why?? It's a 2000. It would cost more then the car is worth to convert it. If this is to be a diy project just for the fun of it, go find a flexfuel car in the jy and strip it for parts. Otherwise, sell the car and buy a flexfuel car. Done. Again, why?? I'm driving my second flexfuel car, a Dodge Grand Caravan. I haven't bought any E-85 yet. Too expensive, and not readily available, Only about 10 cents cheaper. Not worth it. YMMV

Wayne

E10 which is most gasoline these days is about 110k BTU per gallon and E85 is about 81.8k per gallon. so you're only getting about 75% of the energy in regular gas and hence you'll have worse mileage. So just a 10 cent discount per gallon makes it a lot more expensive on a per BTU basis.

About the only time it's worth it would be if you rented a flex fuel vehicle and you had to bring it back with a full tank.

How to make E-85 work? Many people who tune turbo cars to extremes modify their cars to accept E-85. It can enable more boost because it can have a higher anti knock index than 93 octane pump gas. Maybe you should browse those discussions.

One thing I have heard is that alcohol based fuel wear piston rings more quickly. How much more, I don't know.

I have heard a lot of negatives throughout the years regarding ethanol, but I have never experienced a problem or known of anyone who has since we started having ethanol at the pumps in the late 70's. Sure, some fuel filter problems and such early on because of the clean out effect, but nothing major. Carbed, ported injection, TB injection, etc all included. There are a lot of anecdotal stories, especially on the net, but I live in ethanol central and if there were a major problem (not talking about politics) with ethanol, it would have sure shown up in my area. Most of the hue and cry about ethanol seems to come from relatively newcomers to the ethanol game, and they are having it forced down their throat by various government agencies. I understand their putting up a fuss about that, but it hurts objective discussion about the fuel itself.

I suppose ethanol fuel use could wear piston rings more quickly, but again, there doesn't seem to be any substantive evidence of that occurring. It might in a small percentage, but without controlled testing conditions, there is no way to know for certain. And since virtually everyone in my area with a gas engine has been on at least E10 for all of their vehicle's life, you would have sure heard something by now if it was causing lowered engine life.

Along with the higher octane, it also has cooling effect when injected. So it allows for some interesting modifications that can truly take advantage of it. On a stock engine, even a flex fuel, the mpg numbers can be disappointing, but on an engine that has been tweaked for the fuel, E85 can be an eye opener for sure. Once things get supercharged or turbocharged, and various other little tweaks, ethanol based fuels can really come into their own. Whether it is worth it to spend the money on engine mods to reap the benefits is an individual choice.

But it does beg the question why the OEM's (especially GM) have not really done more to take advantage of a fuel that they seem to actively support. Sure there is a conspiracy theory for that one, but I am more inclined to think that the buying public hasn't really demanded more from the OEM's, so their position is "why bother?".

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

But it does beg the question why the OEM's (especially GM) have not really done more to take advantage of a fuel that they seem to actively support. Sure there is a conspiracy theory for that one, but I am more inclined to think that the buying public hasn't really demanded more from the OEM's, so their position is "why bother?".

Quickly beforte the end of SAAB, there was the development of an engine called the "Biopower" It promised to put out more power by allowing extra turbo boost when using E85.

Once there was no SAAB, I never heard of anyone else trying to do this.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What would have to be done to a car to make it able to run on E85 ?

For example, a 2000 Buick LeSabre.

I wonder if it would already be e85 compatible. My dad had a 2001 Tahoe that was e85 compatible.. GM just wasn't putting the "flex fuel" badges on all of their cars like they are now.

He never got into it though. It got much worse mileage even after running e85 for a few tanks through the system.

True, E85 will deliver lower mpg, but it may not be that big of a deal if the price is lower. On my 2013 Silverado, I will lose about 3 mpg using E85, but the price spread between E85 (lower) than gasoline is such that I even with the lower mpg, my cost per mile for fuel is still about 3 cents a mile less with E85. Depends on what part of the country you live in and the price differential. That is the only reason my pickup is getting fed E85 now. When the price spread narrows, as it does seasonally, I will go back to gasoline until the price widens out again. I am strictly cost per mile oriented. I could give a rip if I put regular, premium, E10, E30, or E85 in the tank. Whatever delivers the best bang for the buck goes in the tank. That is what's nice if you have access to blender pumps at retail where you live. I can select regular, E10, E15, E30, or E85 at the same pump. That being said, E30 usually offers the best value most of the year. The mpg using it is darn close to E10, but 10-15 cents a gallon cheaper than E10. Right now, E85 is 80 cents cheaper than E10, so it gets the nod. But I have noticed the spread tightening, so this may be the last tank of E85 for a while.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
That is what's nice if you have access to blender pumps at retail where you live. I can select regular, E10, E15, E30, or E85 at the same pump. That being said, E30 usually offers the best value most of the year. The mpg using it is darn close to E10, but 10-15 cents a gallon cheaper than E10. Right now, E85 is 80 cents cheaper than E10, so it gets the nod. But I have noticed the spread tightening, so this may be the last tank of E85 for a while.

Very interesting they offer the blended fuels. If I lived in an area that did this as well as drive a vehicle that could support anything greater than e10, I would most definitely be experimenting.

yeah, in some areas of the country, especially in ethanol central, you can find the blender pumps. They are a pretty cool idea. Folks can determine which gives them the best value and select what they want. GM and some third party folks did some testing that showed E30 gave the best overall value. Same mpg as E10, yet usually lower priced than E10. Can confirm that one. My pickup gets just about the same mpg on E30 as it does on E10, yet the price is usually 10-15 cents cheaper a gallon for the E30. E85, I take a real hit on mpg like most folks. The spread has to be at least 70 cents cheaper or I don't buy it. That is the break even cost per mile point. Last winter, it was a dollar or more cheaper most of the time, so we filled with E85 most of the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back