What major oil co's bottle for other names?

We know that Napa oil is bottled by Ashland and for practical purpose is Valvoline. Warren fills many bottles with different names etc.

Does Say Shell bottle any of the SOPUS oils under other names? What about Castrol?

This is a very good question...

Especially in regards to Shell or ExxonMobil...

I know Citgo made oil for some Wally World store regions.

Warren Distribution and Warren Oil make oil for all kinds of stores... Federated Auto parts, Dollar General, Family Dollar.

Pinnacle makes oil for Speedway gas stions and I think Marathon too.

AAP/CQ house brand is Amalie

Walmart oil can be WPP, Citgo, Amalie, or ExxonMobil depending on the region

Autozone STP brand is Amalie or WPP

20 or so years ago, Advance's store-brand oil used to come in bottles identical in design to Valvoline's bottles, packed in boxes of identical unique construction, from the same box mfr. So, I suspected the oil was from Valvoline, but couldn't prove it. Then they changed suppliers.

Shell makes Canadian tire branded motomaster “OEM” oil.

D179FEE6-F25A-49A1-B6BA-E195FCEC4707.png

In the US:

Phillips 66 - Ford Motorcraft
Phillips 66 - AC Delco
Phillips 66 - Honda
Exxon Mobil: VW-Audi
Exxon Mobil: Toyota
Exxon Mobil: Nissan
Exxon Mobil: formerly AC Delco
Exxon Mobil: formerly Honda

Meijer store brand oil is Warren Distribution, FVP they sell at Menard's is also Warren Distro. Carquest I believe is bottled by different companies regionally some is bottled by Amalie, some by Irving/Costal Packaging, and some by Warren (not Warren Distro), Harvest King is now made by Warren(not Warren Distro)

Toyota branded motor oil is currently made by Exxon. How do I know this ? Local Toyota dealer said it came in to the dealership with "Exxon" on the box.

In the US:

Phillips 66 - Ford Motorcraft
Phillips 66 - AC Delco
Phillips 66 - Honda
Exxon Mobil: VW-Audi
Exxon Mobil: Toyota
Exxon Mobil: Nissan
Exxon Mobil: formerly AC Delco
Exxon Mobil: formerly Honda
XOM supplies Delvac for diesel and Mobil 1 for higher output engines …

Castrol does Syntec for O’Reily’s
Castrol lent the Syntech name, I don't think we are sure if Calumet or Omni is bottling it however. Omni bottles existing O'reilly's oil and uses the same bottles of the Syntech oil, but BP signed an agreement for Calumet to blend and bottle oil for them in 2016. Either way the oil appears to come from Shreveport and the Omni and Calumet refineries are next door to each other there. Personally I don't see it being worth the price when Castrol Edge is cheaper at Wal-Mart.

This is a very good question...

Especially in regards to Shell or ExxonMobil...

I know Citgo made oil for some Wally World store regions.

Warren Distribution and Warren Oil make oil for all kinds of stores... Federated Auto parts, Dollar General, Family Dollar.

Pinnacle makes oil for Speedway gas stions and I think Marathon too.
Mobil used to do lots of private label oils … but since the merger they have focused on selling base stocks to private label formulators …

Yes, but not sure that an oil made for private label “abc” by company “xyz” is the same oil as company cuz offers?
Not implying that it is bad oil...just that it was likely manufactured per the private label companies specifications, which would likely have a different additive pack or even base stock.

just that it was likely manufactured per the private label companies specifications, which would likely have a different additive pack or even base stock.
That will make it cost more to produce on top of paying someone else to do the work. If company "A" buys a million 'units' of an additive pack for their own blend, they pay one price. If they can buy 2 million units of the same additive pack for their oil as well as private-labeling someone else's, they'll get the additive pack cheaper. They can also run a single production batch and only have to switch packaging halfway through.

Even if Mobil 1 packages an identical oil for Dollar General, the general public doesn't care and no self-respecting Mobil 1 fanboy will buy DG's oil knowing (or thinking) it's the exact same stuff.

Back