What maintenance did you do this weekend?

Tried to work on my truck but still can’t get it started up. Timing is correct, spark timing is correct, distributor cap and rotor have been replaced, plug wires replaced, ignition coil replaced, fresh gas, won’t run even when putting gas in carburetor or using starting fluid just cranks away.

Removed a leaking hyd. trans. hose on a family members Snapper mower. Ordered replacement from a local outdoor equip. dealer. He had it cheaper than anywhere I could find online.

Tried to work on my truck but still can’t get it started up. Timing is correct, spark timing is correct, distributor cap and rotor have been replaced, plug wires replaced, ignition coil replaced, fresh gas, won’t run even when putting gas in carburetor or using starting fluid just cranks away.
Silly question, but are the plugs getting a decent spark?

I have an Ecoh string trimmer that I have not run in three years. I have been using a battery powered unit. The trimmer sat empty without gas all this time. I removed the plug and shot a good squirt of WD-40 into the cylinder and turned it over a few times with the plug out. I started it and had to keep it on choke to keep it running, Probably a bit gummed up. I added a strong dose of gumout multi system cleaner to it and let it run for 15 minutes. Eventually it cleared up and ran fine.

Rotated the all season’s onto wife’s car. Took apart the brakes so as to lube sliding surfaces and did a brake fluid flush. Figured out how to run fluid through the clutch circuit too—first time doing that, never thought to do so before, my bad. Caliper pins are starting to look icky, water is getting in and I’m seeing water damage. Lubed up but after 10 years I’m guessing I should do calipers next brake job. Not sure I want to change brake hoses, darn New England rust.

One of the brake pad shims decided to rust away though. Kinda surprised as everything else looks good. Well, except for some of those brake line fittings...

Aired up all the truck and trailer tires. With all the freeze thaw we are having, it was time to balance them. My wife has a 1000km trip tomorrow to drop the kids off and return with some project horses.

Spark?

Valve timing OK? How did run before tune up, compression?
I haven’t checked the timing with a light yet. I’d say the valve timing is ok but I do need to check that. Compression is around 140 in all cylinders. Have no idea how it run I just bought this one. The guy told me as it was being loaded up on the trailer that weeds grew up in it from where it sat for 4 years. The reason it was parked is because when you stopped it would shut off is what he said.

1. By on-road necessity, replaced punctured tube in bicycle tire.
2. Repacked new tube to carry as new spare.
3. Checked rear toe-in on Prius, using aluminum bar and pencil.
4. Mated unused OE-type Toyota wiper refill (which has obsolete cross-section dimensions, apparently) with old no-name blade found on road.

Last edited:
Tossing this tidbit of information out there for anyone who may be working on an ATV someday, that will not start. Check the roll over kill switch in it.
Had a customer's Honda Quad in the shop today, it wouldn't start. I checked a few other things first, then the roll over switch, meant to kill the engine if you tip the ATV on its side, or upside down. It was faulty, and once I removed it, started up.

Changed the oil in my JD LX188 mower. Out: 2 qts of Rotella T5, in with the same and a new Fram extra guard ph 4697. Also cleaned and oiled the air filter foam prefilter, and cleaned/lubed the battery cable ends. Greased the deck pulley spindles and steering spindles. Adjusted the valves and installed new Denso plugs. Good to go for the summer!

PXL_20210403_220245598.jpg

Restoring the headlights on this 2001 Villager
Gonna try clear coating this time, see if it lasts longer
LF cornering light got busted while parked somewhere, and a center cap off one of the wheels is MIA
NOS eBay parts to the rescue

I'm a weekend late to the thread, but I changed the injectors, lift pump & fuel filter out on an older buddy's '95 Cummins a day before I changed some transmission parts.
You are actually 11 years late, as am I.

I replaced the crank position sensor this past weekend. Prior one would cut out in hot traffic, leaving me stranded. The replacement required removing the crank pulley, which is never satisfying without impact tools.

I also changed the oil and spark plugs, getting the car ready for a 1300 mile road trip. Funny how investing your own sweat and tears into a car makes you more attached and more inclined to value it. Before this work, I had never felt any care for it, but now I have subtle appreciation for the 20 year old Civic’s exceptional mpg.

Back