What lube for brake pads will be long lasting and still be there when doing next brake job?

I know everyone has their favorite brake lubes, but which ones last the longest? I use and like 3m Silicone Paste for slider pins, but what is the best brake pad lube for metal-to-metal contact? I'm looking for something that will lubricate well and prevent noisy brakes, of course, but most importantly, still be there when it's time to remove and replace the brake pads. Any recommendations?

M77 seems to be the best lube for that application, followed by anti-seize.

In all honesty, most metal-to-metal lubes become a gritty mess within a few months and may do more harm than good.

M77 seems to be the best lube for that application, followed by anti-seize.

In all honesty, most metal-to-metal lubes become a gritty mess within a few months and may do more harm than good.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen copper anti seize recommended lately by mechanics on YouTube. Any opinions on that and how well it works? Reviews are excellent for using it on brakes and it's a great price per ounce. But not sure how long it lasts and if it holds up to brake heat long term.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I've seen copper anti seize recommended lately by mechanics on YouTube. Any opinions on that and how well it works? Reviews are excellent for using it on brakes and it's a great price per ounce. But not sure how long it lasts and if it holds up to brake heat long term.
Molykote M77 works better, but I think 3M copper anti-seize works (marketed as brake lube for metal-to-metal) can work ok as well. But any metal to metal contact points will see tons of dirt/dust anyway so the effectiveness is questionable.

Sil-glyde for the pins, Permatex Purple for everything else. They are both easily sourced and seem to last. That’s how I always do them and I never have noisy brakes.
Have you ever had problems with Sil-Glyde degrading the rubber around your pins? I think that has regular grease mixed in it too, correct?

Have you ever had problems with Sil-Glyde degrading the rubber around your pins? I think that has regular grease mixed in it too, correct?
The Toyota’s in my sig have rubber tipped Slide pins. Since using Sil-Glyde on those pins, I haven’t had one issue with them swelling and hanging up inside their cavity.
I too use ”purple” Permatex on everything else....

In my experience, the gray Permatex silicone lube stays put - so does M77 but it turns into a gritty, sticky mess except where the metal on metal contact occurs.

I use sil-glyde on the caliper pins.

pastelub on pad ears and parts exposed to weather.

pastelub is a 40% solids lube that is fairly similar to anti-seize but less runny.

Sil Glyde is actually recommend for lubricating rubber parts like door seals and whatnot. I've used it no all manner of things. However I've never used it slide pins. Might give it a try

Ditto, sil-glyde. And copper anti-seize on the drum-to-hub face and hub-to-wheel. I use permatex paste-on, it's like $10 for an 8oz can and that'll last a hobbyist 15 or 20 years.

I'm with the consensus regarding 3M silicon paste or sil-glyde on the pins, but the OP's question also had the phrase "prevent noisy brakes" and be long lasting.....I use CRC 05016 Disc Brake Quiet on the metal to metal contact areas, and I'll give you two very good reasons to do this 1) I got the idea from Trav, a very highly respected user here, and 2) since using it, I've had a friend who installed new front brakes on his own car, new pads, rotors, etc., drove the car and had the brakes "hummmm" when stopping. Brought the car over to my house and put CRC on the metal to metal areas, drove the car and the brake noise quit. Saw and heard it; drove the car. Stuff works.

Ditto, sil-glyde. And copper anti-seize on the drum-to-hub face and hub-to-wheel. I use permatex paste-on, it's like $10 for an 8oz can and that'll last a hobbyist 15 or 20 years.
Which type of Permatex do you recommend?

No issues with the rubber degrading or swelling.

+1 sil-glyde has NO issues with normal rubber around brakes. I use it also on some rubber weather seals.
years back I used the permatex in a packet and it affected the caliper guide pin (the one with rubber bushing) making it swell up. it was very apparent.

I'm with the consensus regarding 3M silicon paste or sil-glyde on the pins, but the OP's question also had the phrase "prevent noisy brakes" and be long lasting.....I use CRC 05016 Disc Brake Quiet on the metal to metal contact areas, and I'll give you two very good reasons to do this 1) I got the idea from Trav, a very highly respected user here, and 2) since using it, I've had a friend who installed new front brakes on his own car, new pads, rotors, etc., drove the car and had the brakes "hummmm" when stopping. Brought the car over to my house and put CRC on the metal to metal areas, drove the car and the brake noise quit. Saw and heard it; drove the car. Stuff works.

That's good to know ... thanks. Is the CRC stuff thick enough to last until the next brake job? I've never seen it in person, but in the photos it looks like it might be quite thin?

Back