what kinda oil??? Royal purple? Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I have a 00 civic ex, it's a 1.6L SOHC VTEC...
It's at almost 50k and i'm going to change the oil and filter then, I have a few "bolt on" mods, like intake (soon headers and exaust), I am thinking about a K&N oil filter and some royal purple oil... Should I consider something else?

Also, I live in Kansas, so I think 5w-30 would be the right choice, should i use 10W???

P.S. I don't really drive it hard all thie time, about every weekend, and you know, but I don't really race or anything.

[ April 22, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Brent1223 ]

OUCH! I'm running RP in my '98 Passat 1.8T. Don't want this kind of thinning in my engine. Only have 1000K on it, was going to do OA at next change. Do you have a link to the thread you posted? Thanks - Rusty

quote:

Originally posted by rusty:
OUCH! I'm running RP in my '98 Passat 1.8T. Don't want this kind of thinning in my engine. Only have 1000K on it, was going to do OA at next change. Do you have a link to the thread you posted? Thanks - Rusty

Dont all the Passat's still recommend xw-40 weights as their thinniest ( winter weight)?

Or did VW finally go down the same path of thinner oils too?

Fred....
smile.gif

RP has not proven itself to me yet based on the oil analysis here. Just can't see going to it when there is Mobil 1 or better still-Amsoil.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si with 60,000 miles. It has a 1.6 liter engine that produces 160 Hp at 8,000 RPMs. I drive 50 miles each way (100 miles daily) to work over rural roads which qualifies for the standard oil change interval of 7,500 miles. I have it changed at a Pennzoil Oil Change place where they use 5W30 dino oil, which is the weight Honda calls for.

Honda also calls for changing the engine coolant at 30,000 to 45,000 mile intervals and changing the brake fluid at 45,000 mile intervals.

I do all this maintenance exactly at the interals they call for, although it seems extreme to me.

With all of the miles being long trip milage,there doesn't seem to be any reason to consider the severe maintenance schedule. Honda's recommended maintenance seems pretty extreme compared to American cars I have owned. I don't see any reason to vary from their schedule (either tightening or relaxing it) without some really good reason.

What do you guys think?

quote:

Originally posted by Brent1223:
Hey,
I have a 00 civic ex, it's a 1.6L SOHC VTEC...
It's at almost 50k and i'm going to change the oil and filter then, I have a few "bolt on" mods, like intake (soon headers and exaust), I am thinking about a K&N oil filter and some royal purple oil... Should I consider something else?

Also, I live in Kansas, so I think 5w-30 would be the right choice, should i use 10W???

P.S. I don't really drive it hard all thie time, about every weekend, and you know, but I don't really race or anything.

On the Royal Purple string:

Does anyone here remember the GM High Tech performance magazine article in 2001 or 2002 that showed a scanning electron microscope picture of a bearing before after the use of Royal Purple?

As I remember the previous one had a Mobil 1 fill and the scan and showed an extremely rough bearing surface at magnification.

However a pic with Royal Purple showed a great degree of polishing and the micrograph appeared very smooth.

This article is fact. Anyone care to suggest what happened? GM High Tech is quite credible.

Brent,

If you want something that's easy to find, Mobil 1, 5w-30 or 10w-30 seem to work really well in these Honda engines. I'm sort of on the fence about RP - I've seen some good analyses and I've seen some that show pretty rapid oil degradation. I think the Mobil 1 results have been much more consistent. If I wasn't an Amsoil guy I'd probably be using Redline or Mobil 1/Delvac 1.

TooSlick

I just wanted to add my simple (seat of my pants) experience with RP so far.. My '02 Acura TL has been running on RP 5w30 for almost a year now and it seems to do just fine.. (as opposed Castrol Syntec in my GM minivan..
mad.gif
crushedcar.gif
) although I have not done any OA on the RP.
Last week-end I drove 1000km from Ottawa to Quebec City and return.. the outbound gaz mileage was 12.8 km per litre.. I was pleased with this result and I will determine at the end of the summer if I will stick with RP..with the help of my fellow oil-geeks of course..
wink.gif

Jean

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
On the Royal Purple string:

Does anyone here remember the GM High Tech performance magazine article in 2001 or 2002 that showed a scanning electron microscope picture of a bearing before after the use of Royal Purple?

As I remember the previous one had a Mobil 1 fill and the scan and showed an extremely rough bearing surface at magnification.

However a pic with Royal Purple showed a great degree of polishing and the micrograph appeared very smooth.

This article is fact. Anyone care to suggest what happened? GM High Tech is quite credible.

It would be hard to believe that a bearing surface could change so rapidly within one oil change interval. However, a smooth polished bearing surface would seem to indicate increased wear IMO if it went from a rougher state to a smoother state. Some bearings (Hondas for example) have surface oriented qualities to them such that they hold oil on their surface at the microscopic level, thus they are designed to be not so smooth in original condition.

All in all I wouldn't put much faith in any report that claims big changes - good or bad - over one oil change. hth.

Joey

I just ran a 2600 mile interval with Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter in my wife's 2000 Civic (106hp engine) and the oil thinned out to a 5w20. (from 11.4cst to 8.8cst, so it was a very large drop)

I'd recommend Schaeffer 5w30 or Amsoil 5w30 instead.

[ April 22, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Idrink, exactly! I visited RP's site a few days ago and saw some pictures which might have been from this test. Surfaces "polishing each other" is not something I'd want inside my motor.
spaz.gif

--- Bror Jace

Hey Patman, I took another look at your results ... then compared them to those from my Honda Civic.

The wear levels in the last sample I had tested, using Schaeffer 10W30 synthetic blend, looked almost exactly the same as those in your wife's Civic!
smile.gif

Oh, but the Schaeffer oil cost $3.00US per quart, was left in for over 4,150 miles and it managed to (just) stay in grade throughout the usage interval.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back