What kind of turtle is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was making smores with my 2nephews and we spotted this small turtle

Anyone know what kind of turtle or terrapin this is?

car51, Do not cut him open!
grin.gif

Used to see them frequently in wooded areas in the summers 20-40 yrs ago. These days, I rarely see a single one during the course of a summer. Turtles and other amphibians in the northeast aren't as prevalent as they once were. Everyone putting up fences for "privacy" hasn't helped either.

Common box turtle. When I had my farm my dog used to bring them up to the house from the creek all the time.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
car51, Do not cut him open!
grin.gif

Trevor, the lab/basset hound mix dog of the brother and sister in law, wanted to move him. I put him near treeline so he could go in peace
smile.gif

I saved a couple from the road recently. A huge common snapper and a huge soft shell. I've yet to see an alligator sniper in the wild. The only alligator snapper I've seen was at the Houston aquarium,and it was REALLY HUGE!!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I saved a couple from the road recently. A huge common snapper and a huge soft shell. I've yet to see an alligator sniper in the wild. The only alligator snapper I've seen was at the Houston aquarium,and it was REALLY HUGE!!

Snappers terrify me. Saw a dead one on the road a couple weeks ago and the size of it still gives me the creeps. Pointy tails and sharp jaws and such. I won't even discuss Gator Snappers.

Ditto - box turtle down south too - don't see as many these days - or horned toads. For the first time in years I spotted a very large bull frog 2 weeks back - then realized I was past all the farms & other chemical users and alongside a wildlife refuge ...

Last edited:
Years back - pulled over by an old wooden bridge to watch a guy trying to get an AST off he caught on a limb line. After seeing a near miss with that big jaw - I stepped out to help but had to cut the line off short to maintain 10 fingers each.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

They have a very unfortunate habit of choosing the soft gravel along the roadway shoulder to lay their eggs.

And it seems like they always think the gravel across the road is better than the gravel side they are on.

Its the grass is always greener phenomenom.

The last snapper I "saved" from the road was real ornery. About 10" wide and wouldn't let me get behind to grab him w/o jerking wildly and taking a snap at me. Agile thing. Finally, had to go home for a tarp and drag it back near the edge of the swamp....as I wasn't going to risk a finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back