What kind of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I there! I have a 2000 Grand Caravan, 21,000 miles on the 3.8-liter engine. The car has been with us since Sept. 2000.

The warranty is over and I will not take it again for service to the dealer, as it is lousy and I'm not really sure that full service is given there.

We have been putting regular dino oil, Exxon 15W-40 and changing it every 6,200 miles (that's 10,000km).

Minivan is driven by my wife under heavy traffic conditions and steep grades going home.

Would you recommend switching oils to Mobil 1 15W-50? I think Mobil 10W-30 is too low and this viscocity is not recommended in the manual anyway.

I live in Mexico City and Mobil 1 is about the only synthetic available, with a constant supply. Shell and Penzoil also sell synthetic in department stores but supply is not constant, so there's a risk of not finding the oil for subsequent changes.

Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Hey Al and Malakule. Does the fact that he lives in Mexico City mean he should be using a higher weight than 30 with the temps he would experience?

Anyone think 0w40 M1 would work in this application?

"M1 10W30 is the best choice among film thickness protection and economy of operation. "

M1 0W40 would probably work, with a slight loss in economy.

James, I'm curious as to which viscosity your owner's manual recommends? I also think a 10W-30 would work fine in the 3.8L. As Molakule stated a 10W-40 or M1 0W-40 would also be fine but you may lose a little fuel economy. Also if your going with 6000 mile drain intervals both Mobil 1 oils will hold up much better than the Exxon Dino 15W-40 especially in the hard driving your wife is doing.

Minivan is driven by my wife under heavy traffic conditions and steep grades going home.

If you don't trust the dealer you may want to look at the brakes...unless she has a lot in her 401k!
grin.gif

Just kidding.

James, I was in Mexico City last Sunday...(only for an hour...just transferring flights).

What grade does your owner's manual say you should use? If you've had great success with the conventional 15-40, then you should have no problems with M-1 15-50...go ahead.

quote:

Originally posted by rgiles:
Hey Al and Malakule. Does the fact that he lives in Mexico City mean he should be using a higher weight than 30 with the temps he would experience?

I'll have to agree with this as well. Unless James drives like Aunt Millie and does not carry any load, I think the 10W30 would be sufficient. Otherwise, a minimum multi-vis 40wt. or higher is in order, IMHO.

Regards,

Oz

Mexico City?
cool.gif
South of San Antonio... South of Baja... I'd be 100% comfortable running M1 15W-50 in it all year long. Especially since your wife is driving "under heavy traffic conditions and steep grades." Besides providing better viscosity protection in your climate, the extra anti-wear additives would be a big benefit with your driving conditions.

From where I sit in S.Fla. it's not so HOT in Mexico City(High Altitude, or attitude) you know?We go often and it's almost always cooler than here.It's the brakes that need attention!
Ron
shocked.gif

The 3.8L is a gas engine, right?

M1 10W30 is the best choice among film thickness protection and economy of operation.

Good call. With temps like that even a 5w30 is fine. Having never been there or studied it in the past, I am surprised that the climate is so moderate.

I think it's fair to say based upon temps that 15w40 is not the best weight unless the owners manual specifies it.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
Since the warmest month is under 70F and the coolest mid fifties, I'd definitely stick with 10W30 all year round in Mexico City.

Wow, I also didn't realize how moderate the temperature was. Even though James says his Owner's Manual doesn't recommend 10W-30, I think the new A5-rated M1 SuperSyn would hold up pretty well.

But how about the driving conditions? Don't NYC cabs run 50wt year-round? I've heard that MC's traffic is absolutely hideous, & James says his wife is contending both with that & with steep grades (maybe some engine braking thrown in?). Even with the temperate climate, it's his driving conditions & our previous discussions about non-US oil recommendations that lead me towards something heavier than what we'd typically use here in the US.

Don't forget the transmission. In this kind of city driving, those automatic transmissions can get really hot. Get a good synthetic that meets the specs for the high temp performance.

Don't forget the transmission. In this kind of city driving, those automatic transmissions can get really hot. Get a good synthetic that meets the specs for the high temp performance.

Good call on the tranny oil too. Just remember that since it's a Mopar, to use the oil specified for Chryslers only. Otherwise you'll get shuuders when driving. Redline makes a Chrysler-compatible trans oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back