What kind of oil goes in a 280,000 mile Protege'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012-03-26_11-01-56_570.jpg

and another example of the condition my clients keep their cars in...

It's worse than it looks in the pic. The driver's door did not open so I had to work on it from the passenger side.

The nasty nasty passenger side.

Kinda proves that with 280,000 miles they know more than a lot of us.

And I doubt it got oil changes per the manual over is life.

How does it RUN?

Take care, bill

It actually runs pretty good. Oil leaks galore. I couldn't smell any barf smell for the burning oil smell. I guess that's fortunate.

Why is it that there are all these people who never maintain their cars and treat them like [censored],and they last forever? Dumb luck?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I thought my car was nasty inside. Does it smell like barf? It sure LOOKS like barf.

LOL

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why is it that there are all these people who never maintain their cars and treat them like [censored],and they last forever? Dumb luck?

You mistyped "luck". You used an "l" instead of an "f".

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette

You mistyped "luck". You used an "l" instead of an "f".

Haha! Good one!
11.gif

+1
21.gif

Well there is a strange logic that might explain it.

My personal experience is that mechanics ruin my cars. They always do something wrong. From over filling oil to incorrect coolant to damaging fuel lines, you name it, they've done it.

When they take this disgusting POS in, two things happen:

1) Nobody oversells them because they don't want to touch the car for anything more than it needs
2) Nobody makes a mistake because they don't want it coming back for a redo

That way it gets only the required maintenance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Just looking at that picture makes me want to barf. What a nasty looking car!

And, I completely missed it at first. But it just occurred to me that they are running lawnmower oil in that thing.

I guess you live in the deep south?

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
Well there is a strange logic that might explain it.

My personal experience is that mechanics ruin my cars. They always do something wrong. From over filling oil to incorrect coolant to damaging fuel lines, you name it, they've done it.

When they take this disgusting POS in, two things happen:

1) Nobody oversells them because they don't want to touch the car for anything more than it needs
2) Nobody makes a mistake because they don't want it coming back for a redo

That way it gets only the required maintenance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now THIS IS LOGIC!!!!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
2012-03-26_11-01-56_570.jpg

and another example of the condition my clients keep their cars in...
Where is the booze bottles? Was this car getting a alcohol ignition interlock??

I wonder what a forensic analysis (as seen on Top Gear) would look like on this car. It certainly does look like it has been barfed in more than once, with limited cleanup efforts.
37.gif

This is one of those cars that calls for gloves while working on the inside and outside (or possibly just inside).

Now regarding the straight 30 weight oil... does that bottle say Non Detergent? Is it really that hard for people to determine what the proper type of oil is for their cars?

Last edited:
Thats nothing, my shop is a Hino truck dealership. One time I had a Hino that the customer had built a "custom" center consol out of cardboard over top of the passenger side bench seat. Apparently he built it to hold all his trash over on the passenger side. I needed access to the fuse panel on the passenger side and when I opened the door, it came out like a water fall. He had it piled up over the passenger seat....soda cans, paper plates, chip bags, chew containers, it was gross. I used rubber gloves to put it all back in when I was done, I didn't wanna hear the guy [censored] because I "moved" his trash. I wish I still had the pictures:)

Well, your question was what kind of oil goes in this car. Can't say that they make a special oil for this car. If it runs as bad as it looks, I would run it without oil and then get a new one.

Originally Posted By: nooil
Well, your question was what kind of oil goes in this car. Can't say that they make a special oil for this car. If it runs as bad as it looks, I would run it without oil and then get a new one.

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

It ran okay...valve cover and possibly cam seal just leaked like a sieve. I guess it doesn't matter what goes in it if it's coming back out that fast and onto the exhaust manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back