What kind of oil for a 1970 Olds 442 455 V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has asked me to change the oil in his '70 442. It has the 455 V8 in it. I've changed this oil before and used 10W-40, but I was never really sure if that was the best for this old engine or not. The engine has 42k original miles on it. It gets driven maybe 100 miles every 2-3 years.

Originally Posted By: kbohip72
My Dad has asked me to change the oil in his '70 442. It has the 455 V8 in it. I've changed this oil before and used 10W-40, but I was never really sure if that was the best for this old engine or not. The engine has 42k original miles on it. It gets driven maybe 100 miles every 2-3 years.

I actrually have a very good friend( lifetime friend actually )who was big into Olds muscle cars when we were younger. He had a couple 442's w/ 455. 10W-40 is what he ran in all of them. He ran Royal Purple in all of them including his built 69 442 w/ 455( not original motor )that ran low 11 seconds. It did very well. Brand is up to you but 10W-40 is a great weight choice IMO.

On an older car like that I would try and run an SL oil rather than an SM. If you run an SM I would add something like Redline's product( believe it is a break in product )to boost ZDDP.

Last edited:
10w40 should be fine. As NHHEMI mentioned if you want to boost the ZDDP (a good idea), Redline Break In Oil Additive is just the ticket.

Think of how much oil technology has improved since 1970. Any oil will work great in it. But a high mileage oil might be a good bet as they are very stout, have good detergent level and can help recondition those old seals.

Originally Posted By: JT1
Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 or Rotella Synthetic 5w40 would be great for that classic.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Nice car - you should offer to 'excercise' it for him, to get the moisture/fuel out, of course!

I'd go with a quality 15W-40 in it.

I just changed the oil in my 71 Cutlass 350 V8 to a 15W-40 diesel-rated (and gasoline-rated) oil. Unless the car is a trailer queen, give it more exercise. It's better for the car.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Mobil 1 10W-40 high mileage, Mobil 1 15W-50, or Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40.

Ditto. I have a good amount of classic/muscle cars and use all of the above. Very good choices. I do lean towards the 10W40 HM oils if the engine has not been rebuilt recently. The Mobil 1 HM oils have 1000ppm of zinc so you should be set. Good luck.

Last edited:
I for sure wouldn't put anything in it that was newer tech low zddp oil!!

Too many people have found out the hard way what that does to an old school flat tappet motor! We keep the diesel oils in supply for these apps.

And don't forget GM makes an excellent ZDDP additive in a can. I use it in one of my boats, which coincidentally has an Olds 455 motor in it.

WHAT WOULD YOU THINK ABOUT USEING BRAD BENN 20W50 OR KENDALL GT-1 20W50 ?

Originally Posted By: cpg
WHAT WOULD YOU THINK ABOUT USEING BRAD BENN 20W50 OR KENDALL GT-1 20W50 ?

Brad Penn
thumbsup2.gif

http://theoilwarehouse.com/

Last edited:
Hmmm, I also change the oil in his 94 Chevy Turbodiesel truck. It uses Rotella T 15W-40. I'd have never thought about putting that in the 442 though? I think I'll try Pennzoil 10W-40 HM in it, just because it always idles pretty fast for the first few minutes after a cold start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back