what kind of musical instrument makes this sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it's a Dobro. I'd know that sound anywhere. I was the house sound guy at a local club for several years and every Wednesday night we had a blues jam.

Add this to any YouTube URL to start at a specific time.

#t=1m30s

This example is 1 min 30 sec.

Awesome find. I may have found it here.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Pretty sure it's a resonator guitar, commonly called a Dobro.

The difference between an actual played flat on one's lap, or standing with a shoulder strap but still parallel to the ground, country music style 'Dobro', and a blues/folk/whatever resonator guitar, which is played like a regular guitar, is that the Dobro has a rectangular shaped neck (in cross section), whereas the resonator guitar has a regular semi-circular shaped neck (in cross section), just like any old six string.
wink.gif

"Dobro" is actually a trademarked brand name, but even when made by other companies (Gibson {who may have actually bought out Dobro, and hence the trademark??}, etc.) these are referred to as Dobros, much like any tissue is called a "Kleenex".

These, pedal steels, lap steels, and Weissenborns are my favorite instruments, and one day I'd love to learn how to play them.

I LOVE 'SLIDING'!!!

BTW; this fall I get to see Arlo Guthrie sing this song LIVE when he appears at our concert series.
thumbsup2.gif

My only regret concerning this song is that I never got to hear it's author (the phenomenal Steve Goodman) sing it live and in person.
frown.gif

I love Arlo Guthrie's version of that song!! For the longest time I thought it was Bob Dylan. Arlo's vocals are very Dylanesque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back