What is Your Favorite Brand Of Salsa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your favorite brand of salsa/picante sauce?

How hot do you like it?

Have you ever bought hot sauce off the web?

Wifey and I are limited in selection at the local grocer. We are thinking of ordering from the internet. Organic is a big plus. And we like it really hot. Recommendations please.

Last edited:
The wife's homemade salsa with 'maters & peppers from the garden are difficult, no impossible, to beat! I can pretty well control the quality and hotness of the result.

Here is one online review for jarred hot salsas:

Recommended

1. PACE Hot Chunky Salsa, $2.49 for 16 ounces
Most tasters were impressed by this spicy salsa’s “bright tomato and chile” and “vegetal” flavors, as well as its “chunky,” “crunchy” texture. There is a “quick hit of tomato flavor, then fire” from the big burn.

2. FRONTERA Hot Habanero Salsa with Roasted Tomatoes and Cilantro, $4.69 for 16 ounces
The roasted tomatoes in this brand were clearly identifiable: “Smoky and complex, yet still has fresh zing,” said one taster. “Exciting to eat,” said another. This was also the hottest salsa in our tasting.

3. NEWMAN’S OWN All Natural Chunky Hot Salsa, $2.79 for 16 ounces
This salsa is seasoned with plenty of garlic, cilantro, and black pepper. One taster made note of an “herby flavor I like, but that isn’t typical for salsa.” “Could be hotter” was a common comment.

4. HERDEZ Hot Salsa Casera, $3.49 for 16 ounces
This salsa was the saltiest of the lot—and tasters noticed, saying, “Less of a cooked taste, but too salty.” With the shortest ingredient list in our lineup, several tasters praised this brand as “fresh-tasting” and “clean and crisp.”

Recommended with Reservations

5. TOSTITOS Hot Chunky Salsa, $2.99 for 15.5 ounces
This “basic and inoffensive,” “ordinary” salsa had average scores for heat level, flavor, and texture.

6. OLD EL PASO Thick n’Chunky Hot Salsa, $2.79 for 16 ounces
Many tasters commented on the “cloyingly sweet” nature of this salsa. The “strong tomato flavor” comes from the wealth of tomato chunks—this salsa had more solids (65 percent) than any other in our test.

7. EMERIL’S Kicked Up Chunky Hot Salsa, $3.79 for 16 ounces
“Another bland, tomatoey salsa” that was “not very interesting” but had “decent flavor.” “Not hot enough,” said one uninspired taster; “tastes like canned tomato puree,” said another.

8. GREEN MOUNTAIN GRINGO Hot Salsa, $3.79 for 16 ounces
This brand received some very high marks but also some dreadfully low ones. One thing is not debatable—it has a “fierce,” “lingering” heat. The only brand to include tomatillos, which might have polarized tasters.

Not Recommended

9. CHI-CHI’S Hot Fiesta Salsa, $2.79 for 16 ounces
“I wouldn’t dip into this twice,” said one wincing taster. Many detected “soapy,” “musty,” “funky,” “sour,” or “bitter” flavors. “Just all-around bad,” and thin, too—this salsa had the lowest solid content of the brands tasted. “Tastes stale, but if you had beer and chips you might not notice,” cracked another.

Trader Joe's store brand salsa is really good, but if you don't have a Trader Joe's to go to, you might not be able to get it. I believe their salsa is organic, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Don't buy the jarred chunky stuff. It's all weird.

Wife makes 4 basic varieties. From red with not much chunk, to fine cabbage, to green tomatillo, to guacamole....

For bottle varieties, TNTC. From some .99$ discount green juice to some pure capsicum oil [censored] that will scortch your intestines beyond recognition. You'll sweat while taking every dump for two days after eating it.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
What is your favorite brand of salsa/picante sauce?

How hot do you like it?

Have you ever bought hot sauce off the web?

Wifey and I are limited in selection at the local grocer. We are thinking of ordering from the internet. Organic is a big plus. And we like it really hot. Recommendations please.

If you want the best, you're going to have to make it yourself. Call Pablo's wife for a recipe, and go here to order the good stuff: Hatch Green Chile from Berridge Farms

Thanks for the rec Johnny...I'll have to get some of that goodness and give it a shot. Typically I make my own salsa. Tomatoes, onions, garlic and some cilantro. Oh yeah I forgot the lime juice, salt and fresh garden grown habaneros :). Those buggers are darn right tasty!

Last edited:
I happen to have a jar of Trader Joe's Habanero and Lime salsa in front of me. It's great, but it does not say organic anywhere on it.
If you REALLY like heat, Whole Foods has an organic Habanero salsa that is SO hot, I can't eat it. That's really saying something. I can't remember what it's called, but they used to have a real nice one and now all they have is this nuclear reactor one.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Does Berridge ship to us Canucks?

Sorry, I have no idea. I drive past Hatch on my way to Las Cruces or El Paso every so often, so I buy my chile directly from the farms. I know Berridge's online price includes shipping to the contiguous 48 states. Give them a call if you're interested in shipping to our northern brethren.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: Wasatch
Anything from Blair's will kick your [censored]. They have hot sauces, salsa's, BBQ sauces, plus other stuff. Try this trio, but watch out, the Hot Fire Roasted Cheddar Cheese Sauce is very very hot, you've been warned.

http://www.sweatnspice.com/642-13.htm

That trio sounds very tempting.

GO FOR IT! LOL

I can't find any of Dave's lineup up here anymore...
frown.gif

I got some of the Dave's new highest insane insanity. It's flippen blazing, but it tastes like I would imagine the lining of mori's brake pads taste. It's just not that good.

100% Pain is better.

I need to get some more of the Belize stuff.

Can't understand it ...that thing just gives intense heat...test of endurance? I know my limit and use chili peppers for enjoyment in cooking. It is healthy by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back