What is up with this paint

All these scratches. The white is a buffing compound but any way the scratches are odd. The car seat a while. You can feel these in the paint. Nothing ever touched the roof yo scratch it to our knowledge. Is it some sort of defect? It's all over the entire roof. The rubbing compound obviously makes it easier to see for pictures.
IMG_20220905_151735.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My boss’s Yukon did that… literally in once day from nothing to all of it. We never figured out the cause. It happened on the hood and nowhere else. He was demo-ing a house and there was a ton of debris and dust in the air…. We wondered if there was some kind of chemical exposure to/from the paint. There was no physical abrasion to the hood. He got it repainted and no other part has done it.

Perhaps someone was hauling things on the roof, and slid things around to get them into position. Cardboard boxes are like sandpaper to automotive paint.

Watch the outside parking lot of any Lowe's or Home Depot on the weekends. You will be amazed at the foolishness you'll see. It's better than watching all the new boaters trying to back up their trailers at the launch ramps on Memorial Day weekend.

The odd and random patterns with undamaged spots in the middle make me think this is a paint failure.

Is this the original finish? Reminds me of a failing Maaco Flake-o 1 stage paintjob. What make and model? Some Honda's had paint recalls and this was especially noticeable on the roof. If you qualify, you can get a free paint job on the affected areas.

habitual placement of items during egress (shoppin bags R left on perimeter, Oh wait, I C
near equal on both axis (L, R & up'n down). Hmmmm... I vote 'car wash' (as above AND
that style of wash machine) while dirty.

Back