What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When comparing new brake rotors for my vehicles, I notice that some rotors mention in their description/spec that:

They have a rust preventative coating!

I see this on many auto parts sites. For example, the AAP WearEver Rotors mention a rust preventative coating but, the WAGNER DO NOT mention this.

I have used both rotor brands and notice no extra rust prevention while on the car...thay all rust the same!
smile.gif

Is this just a light maching oil applied to the rotors after mfg'ing for storage while in the BOX???

Originally Posted By: LotI
My guess is the hat of the rotor is painted/powder coated. Have you seen pictures or seen them in person?

Not really! I have purchaced non painted hats/vents that mentioned this. The painted hats such as Raybestos Adv Tech or Centric Premium mention the paint. Here is an example:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=300931&cc=1373879

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wearever-brake-rotor-front-yh145308/5670068-P?navigationPath=L1*14921%7CL2*16462%7CL3*15696#fragment-2

Last edited:
Its not the friction surface, its the hat part that meets the wheel that is treated. If you have alloy wheels and the rotor is visible the treated ones would be the ones to get.
If appearance isn't important to you go with the untreated ones.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
When comparing new brake rotors for my vehicles, I notice that some rotors mention in their description/spec that:

I see this on many auto parts sites. For example, the AAP WearEver Rotors mention a rust preventative coating but, the WAGNER DO NOT mention this.

I have used both rotor brands and notice no extra rust prevention while on the car...thay all rust the same!
smile.gif

Is this just a light maching oil applied to the rotors after mfg'ing for storage while in the BOX???

Most packaged auto parts contain a film of rust prevention oil to retard or prevent rust accumulation of parts while in storage.

In the case of rotors, this film should be thoroughly removed by brake cleaner before installation.

One thing you do not want is an oil film or any lubricant getting into the pad material to promote glazing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

smile.gif

Most packaged auto parts contain a film of rust prevention oil to retard or prevent rust accumulation of parts while in storage.

In the case of rotors, this film should be thoroughly removed by brake cleaner before installation.

One thing you do not want is an oil film or any lubricant getting into the pad material to promote glazing.

Oh absolutly! I have seen this machine oil on most new rotors in the box(inside the plastic bag). I always spray brake cleaner on the new rotors to remove the oil. Though, I have purchaced new rotors that were just inside the box(no bag) and were dry. I spray'em clean anyway!

Thanks,

CB
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back