What is this part? {PICS}

I don't recall seeing a part like this on our 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI, and I am curious as to what this is. The vehicle is a 2020 VW Jetta 1.4 TSI.

Attachments

• IMG_5011.JPG
    IMG_5011.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_5013.JPG
    IMG_5013.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_5012.JPG
    IMG_5012.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 218
That is a vacuum pump

What is the purpose of that, forgive my ignorance. I don't think my Accord has one and I don't remember such a device on our previous VW. Does it have to do with the brakes?

Yes, provides vacuum mainly for the brakes. Turbo cars don’t make engine vacuum like naturally aspirated engines so they usually use a mechanically operated vacuum pump, or an electric one like in your case.

Yes, provides vacuum for the brakes. Turbo cars don’t make engine vacuum like naturally aspirated cars so they usually use a mechanically operated vacuum pump, or an electric one like in your case.

Interesting. Learned something new, thank you.

I bought a used 2008 MINI Cooper S many years ago with a “bad” engine for cheap.

After tearing the engine apart I found the mechanical vacuum pump, which attaches to the end of the exhaust cam, had catastrophically failed internally. That failure seized the pump, which stopped the exhaust cam, which sheared off the exhaust cam sprocket bolt and made the timing chain fall off.

Bottom line is I’d take a electric pump over a mechanical pump anyday 😂

yet every diesel out there has a mechanical vacuum pump and none of those issues? I've had to tear into electric vacuum pump a whole lot more and they have been in service for only a couple years now...

Just to add a bit of "flare", it's the Bremse Unterdruckpumpe :) You can ask for it by name at AutoZone.

And plenty of engine designs just don't generate great vacuum where they warrant a vacuum pump (or other related assistance). GM trucks, from 1999 through 2007 had hydro boost (power steering assisted) brakes, the new(-er) body style 4.3 DI V6 GM trucks have a vacuum pump, etc.

Back