What is this on my Napa Gold and is it a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a NAPA Gold off my 1997 GMC Sierra. Filter has been on for 1.5 years and only 1,000 miles. Noticed this little strand of what appears to be rubber coming out from under the metal part. This is the 2nd filter I have noticed this on and I'm wondering if it is a problem or anything to worry about? Been using NAPA Golds/WIX for years with good results. Thanks for any input!

I would never leave a filter on that long in that climate especially with not drving that much. maybe 1 yr max

Last edited:
Looks like glue/sealant. Unless it causes a leak, I wouldn't worry about it. Leaving a filter on for 1.5 years is no cause for concern, either.

If this is the second filter I assume you looked at this one before you put it on. If its not glue all I can think of is a sliver of old gasket or silicone sealer that somehow got past the screen and through the pump, or from the pickup or pump housing seal or sealer after the screen.
Is it elastic like silicone or harder like rubber?

Edit: Its not orange like ADBV so I doubt if its from there.

Last edited:
Looks like excess sealant from the crimping process. I looked at some of my Wix filters and they do have some sealant seeping out from the crimp but not as bad as OP's filter.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I would never leave a filter on that long in that climate especially with not drving that much. maybe 1 yr max

don't understand why. Not like something soaked in oil, out of the sun is going to degrade....

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Looks like glue/sealant.

This. I see it on every filter. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks gentlemen! It is very thin like thinner then a sheet of paper and very flexible and will easily tear. I think it is silicon sealant from under the metal lip/crimp. Could this cause any problems?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Thanks gentlemen! It is very thin like thinner then a sheet of paper and very flexible and will easily tear. I think it is silicon sealant from under the metal lip/crimp. Could this cause any problems?

It's on the inlet/dirty side of the filter, so if it came loose the media would catch it ... so no potential problems.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Looks like glue/sealant. Unless it causes a leak, I wouldn't worry about it. Leaving a filter on for 1.5 years is no cause for concern, either.

Agreed, I have run many filters past two years and never had any issues ever.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998

don't understand why. Not like something soaked in oil, out of the sun is going to degrade....

I agree, don't see a problem with it. Cars sit in fields and garages for years without being started and seem to run fine for awhile on those old filters and oil before they are changed. I fired up a '54 Cadillac that sat in a field for 30 years on a presumably 30 year old filter and oil and it ran like a champ! Car even still had air in the tires when I went out and got it believe it or not

Assembly residue of some sort. Never see that on Denso oil filters.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back