What is this oil analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this oil anaylsis test you guys are having done and where do you go to have it done?
I just replied to another topic about GM 3.8 engines about this? I have two of these 3.8s and the other topic talks about how the fellow uses 15-40- with 10-30.

My Dad bought the 87 Riv I own and he orderd a Moly oil product out of a magazine. Supposedly, this Moly oil was one of the few additives really worth adding to oil? Was he correct?

Man this site has got me wondering about a lot of stuff? My 87 Riv 3.8 was losing coolant this spring but the problem has disappeared this summer? About a half quart a month was going somewhere. Any ideas? 125,000 on this Riviera 3.8. Seems to be running good. I am getting 29 MPG at 55 miles an hour on the freeway. (YES, I stay in the right hand lane as you pass me by at 80!) Want better MPG with $3 a gallon gas? Slow down!

Educate me please?

quote:

My 87 Riv 3.8 was losing coolant this spring but the problem has disappeared this summer? About a half quart a month was going somewhere. Any ideas?

Loose hose clamps. No leak under no pressure ..you don't see anything leaking. You start up, pressure builds while hoses very cold ..coolant leaks ..stops when hoses swell.

Summer - hoses aren't under the same expansion/contraction stress due to temp difference.

Go around and tighten all the clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back