what is this debris in my oil - low mileage '06 duramax

Changed my oil and found some small bits in the bottom of the drain pan(see pic). The larger piece is barely magnetic, the other pieces do not seem to be so.

There was about two to three times the amount in the oil drain pan ccompared to whats in the pic. I've shown the largest piece and there was 2 or 3 peices slightly smaller.... most of the rest was small sand-like looking pieces.

'06 stock truck with only 77K miles on it. Last oil change was 1 year and 2k miles ago. I'm the original owner and have performed every oil change.

Truck is primarily used to tow a toy hauler and last time I went to tow, I had to stop just a few miles down the road to make sure I was properly connected. When I got out I noticed a stronger than normal exhaust smell and a bit of white smoke. Smoke went away and exhaust looks normal in neutral. I've never seen any smoke when not towing. Other than that, it does see frequent short trips.

Overall, there are no noticeable issues other than I have poor MPG. 12-13 around town if I baby it... really, like old lady style of driving.

Waiting on oil analysis from Blackstone. I opened and inspected the filter and did not see any foriegn matter in there.

I feel like there is/or could be more bits in the oil pan. I have a fumato drain valve installed and I imagine there might be some larger pieces in the drain pan that couldnt get past the fumato's small diameter opening.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Thoughts/suggestions?
photo_2021-05-03_16-00-50.jpg

I finally got the oil analysis results in my email last night. The results were excellent across the board.

Although I was 98% certain I started with a clean drain pan and did not knock any debris into it during the oil change... I'm going to have to assume I was wrong.

Thanks for all the replies.

I finally got the oil analysis results in my email last night. The results were excellent across the board.

Although I was 98% certain I started with a clean drain pan and did not knock any debris into it during the oil change... I'm going to have to assume I was wrong.

Thanks for all the replies.
Even if that debris came from the pan it is unlikely it would show on a UOA anyway. The particles are far too large.

Back