What is the thickest oil you've ran in the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Many eons ago I had a 1968 Nova with a 327 that smoked so bad that I could have used it to kill the mosquitoes within a 1 mile block. I used KENDALL NITRO 70 weight oil in the engine until I had a chance to pull it and rebuild it. That is some very thick oil!

I can't believe I'm the ONLY one that has used a straight 70 weight oil. I thought for sure others would use it as well.
21.gif

Got surprised on a mid-December trip to Anchorage, AK from Fairbanks, AK with Quaker State 10W-40 (dino) in the crankcase of a 72 Dodge van with the 318 V8. Temp dropped to -35F on the night before I was to head back north, where I was scheduled to change it to the lightest oil available at the time (mid 70's), QS 5W-20, that had a large warning on the can "not for extended highway use".
As there were no plug-ins in the Anchorage area, the van barely cranked over, but it did start, and sounded horrible for the first 15 seconds or so. Once I got back to Fairbanks, where it was a "cool" -65F, went straight to a heated garage and changed the oil to the 5W-20 (dino) QS.

10w40 for me.

Originally Posted By: Tim_S
Got surprised on a mid-December trip to Anchorage, AK from Fairbanks, AK with Quaker State 10W-40 (dino) in the crankcase of a 72 Dodge van with the 318 V8. Temp dropped to -35F on the night before I was to head back north, where I was scheduled to change it to the lightest oil available at the time (mid 70's), QS 5W-20, that had a large warning on the can "not for extended highway use".
As there were no plug-ins in the Anchorage area, the van barely cranked over, but it did start, and sounded horrible for the first 15 seconds or so. Once I got back to Fairbanks, where it was a "cool" -65F, went straight to a heated garage and changed the oil to the 5W-20 (dino) QS.

Good story!

Thickest I ever ran in Pennsylvania was 10w30 in gasoline engines.
But that was me, we had Detroit Diesels that ran on Staight HD40 weight and my dad used to run that in a old Dodge Ram with a 360 in it all the time. When it got down around 0 that thing would whine until it warmed up but always started. Even at a young age I thought that isn't very smart.

10W-60 in my E46 M3. Unfortunately that is the one specified by the engine. I did it for one winter because I had no winter beater for that year.

10w-40 was my standard winter regimen for my 90s model and earlier 4 cylinder cars while living in the KC metro. Minus 26 F was the coldest temperature I operated a vehicle with 10w-40.

Shell Rotella 15w-40 in an 05 Chevy Equinox. When it was around zero it would take an extra second otherwise it started perfect.

3qts 20w50 + 1qt Lucas in the Bug. Lowest temp was probably high 20s. Poor thing would barely crank and ran like buttocks for a few minutes. No thermostat, so it took a long time to warm up. Switched to 10w30 ... POOF! Huge improvement. Thus was the beginning of the end of me and thick oil.

'64 Plymouth 383
Straight 40 wt of many brands.
Dad didn't believe in multi grades back then so that's what I used for many yrs.

20w50 in a 69 302 Z28 Camaro in Flint Michigan.
And I must say there were a few times I needed a jump start when it was below -20F.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
'64 Plymouth 383
Straight 40 wt of many brands.
Dad didn't believe in multi grades back then so that's what I used for many yrs.

Back in those years he was smart. The old multi's were loaded with VII's
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back