What is the oldest oil you have used in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some SL rated SuperFlo 5W-20 that was buried in my stash. It was from 2002 I believe. Threw it in my sons 02 Focus Zetec and 1500 miles later all seems well. Still smooth, quiet and same MPG. Now UOA maybe brutal..LOL .but I don't believe so. Mobil says 5 years old is max.. Hopefully they are conservative LOL

I shook the heck out of it...didn't see any residue at botom of bottle. Also poured a qt into clear jar. Looked good....FWIW LOL

I'm using up some Mobil Delvac 15w40 SL as top up and as a mix. I believe it is from 2003. Realizing my stash is getting old, I'm using old oil first. Whenever I stock oil, I'm writing the date I purchased the oil in my log so I can use old stock first. When you have 100 quarts, you don't remember what year you bought them. I have 20 quarts of FAR oil from O'reilly auto parts from 7/2007 that I haven't touched yet.
blush.gif

A few summers ago I found some SJ rated Pennzoil YB at a rummage sale, 10w40 and 20w50. Used a quart here and there with oil changes, all gone now. Maybe it was 10 years old or so, not sure.

I still have a few gallons of SJ DELO 15W-40 I use in my solid lifter BBC and I just used up the last of my SJ Chevron Supreme 10W-30 that I blended with the SJ DELO 50/50 for use in my Impala.

Going to have to come up with a good SJ equivelent oil for the Impala pretty soon.

I was helping a friend do an oil change on a 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88. He told me the the oil filter and motor oil are in the trunk. I popped the trunk open and see a case of Valvoline All Climate 10W-30 SH rated oil. It was the first time I ever seen the energy conserving II designation. That oil must have be about 10 years old, still looked good when I poured it out, there was some stuff at the bottom of the bottle though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have SH rated synthetic in my 02' right now. I bought the oil in approx. 1995. No problems

my parents have used 25+ year old valvoline 10w-40 as top-up from time to time. Still have some of it... should take a VOA!

I changed my diff fluid last year. The containers I bought were a bit short, so I topped off with some circa 1982 Valvoline 80w90 I had laying around! Looked the same, flowed the same, no problems!
thankyou2.gif

John

I'm running alot of MO4 Green GC in some of my lawnmowers. Can't hardly give it away so my Snapper push mower and my Honda generator are dining on it.

I haven't used it yet but I've got some SL formula Schaeffer 7000 Supreme that I bought around 2002 that is going in my wife's Honda on her next oil change. I've still got 19qts of it, so it'll take me a couple of years to use it all up.

I'm thinking 10 years old or even older is fine. I wouldn't use an SH rated oil in a 2008 car calling for an SM. But if I had an old car that called for SH oil and I had it laying around I would shake it up and use it. If I needed 1/2 a qt of oil in a beater calling for SM oil I would use the SH oil for topping off. Just shake, shake, shake.

I am running API SF oil in a mower right now, no problems at all.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I haven't used it yet but I've got some SL formula Schaeffer 7000 Supreme that I bought around 2002 that is going in my wife's Honda on her next oil change. I've still got 19qts of it, so it'll take me a couple of years to use it all up.

Like you Patman, I still have 3 years worth of SL formula Schaeffer 7000 Supreme Blend that I've been using in my 1996 Contour since 2004. The 1996 Contour originally spec'd SJ oil so I'm still one rating ahead of the original but one rating behind the current
wink.gif
. This last OCI I'm going to run 8,000 +/- miles over a 2 year period. I'll post the UOA when I change the oil.

Whimsey

Last edited:
You can still find old Sh and SG at our local Shopko and True Value. Last time I was in True Value they still had Penzoil PZL turbo oil.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
1956 Chevy Bel-Air with 2-speed auto transmission. Still on its factory fill of ATF.

shocked2.gif
Would be a great candidate for a flush at an Iffy-Boob!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back