What is the next "evolution" in synthetic base oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have PAO's and Esters...

Can anyone speculate on the next evolution of oils that is if there is to be one.

PAOs and Ester use dates back to the WWI I as understand it.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
PAOs and Ester use dates back to the WWI I as understand it.

Not quite that far back. Standard Oil of Indiana created the first PAO in 1929.

As for the next step in synthetic oil, it will come from two fronts: Pennzoil's new synthetic hydrocarbon, PennSyn, (an EOP synthetic basestock) which is very similar to PAO but cheaper to produce. Just as Chevron licenses their IsoSyn technology to other companies who want to produce Group II, II+, and III base oils, Pennzoil (Shell) will, I predict, license the technology to produce this new EOP.

Second, we're going to see the continued emergence of GTL (gas-to-liquid) base oils. Shell is at the front of this and is already producing GTL base oil in Malaysia.

Leaping ahead here are my predictions:

A. Synthetic Hydrocarbons
- Advanced PAO's
- Alkylated Aromatics
- Mono and Diakylbenzenes
- Cycloaliphatics

B. Polyalkyleneglycols

C. Advanced Carboxylic Acid Esters (Advanced POE's)

D. Polyphenyl ethers (5-ring)

E. Methacrylates (such as Alkyl Poly-methacrylates)

F. 2,4-Bis(2,2-dimethylpentanoyloxy) benzophenone

G. Silicones and related compounds.

C, D, and F are already being evaluated for high temperature Diesel and Jet engines.

[ March 26, 2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Can you spell what all those mean Molakule for us nonchemist. Synthetic just keeps getting better I would think..

I wouldn't always say "it is just getting better." It will "get better" as long as there are production techniques that also makes production "more economical." "New" by no means, means "better." Time and empirical data will define if it is "better." I would take a good ole SG rated oil over an SL rated oil anyday, in addition to taking an ole GL4 gear oil over a GL5.

Molekule:

If you do not mind that is.

Can you make us a few notes of the benefits or properties that these organics can provide?

Each must have some advantages.

I appreciate the fact that XOM has already started to evaluate PA0-AN (alkylated naphthalene, an Alkylated Aromatic) - sort of a synergistic blend - that does all the right things a synthetic oil can do with a lower price tag.

Mamala Bay and Outrun,

Cannot go into the chemistry as such, but the advantages of C, D, and F are for higher operating temperatures say > 500 F and better thermal stabilities at high temps for terrestrial engines.

You will see advanced POE esters (including more complex esters) being used for high-tier full synthetics in applications as motor oils, 2-cycle oils, long-life gear lubes, compressor oils, and long-life hydraulic oils.

Advanced PAO's might become cheaper as competition drives down the prices, assuming the price of crude stabilizes. More narrow cuts of PAO's will be seen such that blenders will not have to mix various PAO viscosities to achieve a target viscosity.

Alkylated Aromatics or Alkylated Naphthalenes, and AB's, or Alkylated Benzenes, will be used for low temperature operation or reducing the low temperature profiles of lubricants (better CC viscosities), and for producing cheaper synthetics.

The advanced silahydrocarbons (or tetraalkylsilanes) will be used in aerospace applications for temps to over 700 F because they are stable to radiation and various propellants.

Additive technology will need to be enhanced in order to keep up with these advanced fluid developments.

One of the emerging base oils not mentioned will be the natural esters and fatty acids of plants, or vegetable oils such as soybean, rapeseed, grapeseed, flax, sunflower and other oils. Once the oxidants are removed or proper additives found to counteract the natural oxidants, these oils will show a strong market intrusion. Chemists are now working on improving these natural oils which should be a boon to the agricultural sector. Some natural esters are now being used in motor oils, albeit at a low level. Advantages are numerous, in that these oils are readily biodegradable, are in need in poor countries without oil imports or natural resources, and can theoretically be produced anywhere there is productive land.

Search the "Question of the Day" thread and the "Interesting Articles" thread for more info on additives and base oils.

[ March 29, 2004, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back