What is the name and type of this floor coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad wants to refinish this floor on the balcony and it has been around probably since 1969 (at least earlier than 1994 when we got this place).

It is not concrete, the balcony is wood and the floor definitely feel like wood when I tap on it. Most likely some sort of epoxy or resin coating (thick) on top.

So is power washing it before applying a new coat a DIY? Where should we "rent" the equipment? Do we need to strip the old one? The floor feels uneven and sagging in some area. The weather here is very foggy to cloudy and moderate sun, but never super hot or dry for more than a few days a year.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It is not concrete, the balcony is wood and the floor definitely feel like wood when I tap on it. Most likely some sort of epoxy or resin coating (thick) on top.

So is power washing it before applying a new coat a DIY? Where should we "rent" the equipment? Do we need to strip the old one? The floor feels uneven and sagging in some area. The weather here is very foggy to cloudy and moderate sun, but never super hot or dry for more than a few days a year.

It looks like the product we call dura-deck here.
Basically it's a roll of vinyl that's applied to a sheeted deck.
Absolute garbage in my opinion but I'm a carpenter and wood is my thing.

Chances are if removing it the sheeting underneath will require replacement.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It looks like the product we call dura-deck here.
Basically it's a roll of vinyl that's applied to a sheeted deck.
Absolute garbage in my opinion but I'm a carpenter and wood is my thing.

Chances are if removing it the sheeting underneath will require replacement.

It does look and feel like vinyl to me too, thanks for finding out what it is. The sheeting underneath is curling / bending for a while, and that's the main reason we want to replace. Hopefully the beams are still good or else that'll be a big job (it is on 3/F).

Is it something that's DIY? A wood deck may be neglected because 1 of the 2 balconies is rental, and you know how tenants not take care of precious material like wood...

That is called gaco coating it's common in the Bay Area. It's at two part roll on product. The grit in it is crushed walnut shells. I installed it a bunch when I lived there. I believe their formulations have changed though.we bought it at a roofing supply in Oakland

Last edited:
You can easily do it yourself just prep it right and take your time.it can last a long time if the surface it's going over is sound and it's kept clean and water does not pool up on it meaning there is adequate slope on the deck of ground.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Skiman26
You can easily do it yourself just prep it right and take your time.it can last a long time if the surface it's going over is sound and it's kept clean and water does not pool up on it meaning there is adequate slope on the deck of ground.

Ah, that's the problem. Water pool up on one of the deck due to the warped wood underneath.

So what it means is we likely have to replace the wood below, and make a "slope"? I though deck needs to be flat / leveled / horizontal?

any roof or deck needs at least a little slope. After you remove the decking you might be able to shim one side an inch or so to get some slope.

Is that brush in the photo a stiff one or soft?

Try 1/2C laundry detergent + 1 cup bleach + 1 gallon water. Poor it slowly on, let it pool and sit for 10min. Any areas that dry out, rewet them. Then scrub hard with the (hopefully) stiff brush. If it's NOT a stiff brush, you'll need to get one and get down on your hands-and-knees and scrub it good.

Repeat, rinse & blow-dry.

Trisodium phosphate (TSP) + bleach will also work.....unless the Ca fruit-loops have banned TSP...lol.

It is just a broom from Walmart / Costco. Every morning we use that and a dust pan to scoop up as much water as we can (condensation in the foggy part of the city) or shop vac the water off the deck. It would be completely dry by noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back