What is the maximum payload capacity of a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel sedan?

Good morning,

I have a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel sedan and ai would like to know what the maximum payload capacity for it is, that is how much weight in lbs can it be loaded with. I searched in the owners manual and didnt find it. I know the car was designed for 5 passengers. If each passenger weighs 200 lbs that is 1000 lbs without including any baggage in the trunk.

Thanks

A 2021 Corolla is right around 1,000 pounds. So that's a best guess.

Good morning,

I have a 1990 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel sedan and ai would like to know what the maximum payload capacity for it is, that is how much weight in lbs can it be loaded with. I searched in the owners manual and didnt find it. I know the car was designed for 5 passengers. If each passenger weighs 200 lbs that is 1000 lbs without including any baggage in the trunk.

Thanks
Doesn't the door jamb list that?

Door jamb should list the GVWR. Subtract curb weight from GVWR and you get payload. I estimate about 1500 lbs for automatic tranny and 2000 lbs for manual for the payload.

Door jamb should list the GVWR. Subtract curb weight from GVWR and you get payload. I estimate about 1500 lbs for automatic tranny and 2000 lbs for manual for the payload.
Why would you estimate 1,500 pounds when a new one is 1,000 pounds? And how does a manual transmission give you 500 pounds of additional payload when a transmission doesn't even weigh that much?

Why would you estimate 1,500 pounds when a new one is 1,000 pounds? And how does a manual transmission give you 500 pounds of additional payload when a transmission doesn't even weigh that much?
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1990/60665/toyota_corolla_compact_1_3_gl.html This link puts the payload at 1100 lbs

Data I used: curb weight of a 1990 Corolla is 2780 lbs with auto and 2253 lbs with manual. Maybe there are other differences in the data I found besides the transmission.

For GVWR I used a 1992 Corolla rated at 4290 lbs. Couldn't find GVWR for a 1990.

In college I could practically make a friend’s 1991 Corolla change lanes on the highway sitting in the back seat and grabbing the oh $&@! handles throwing my weight side to side. A thousand pounds would be my guess as a safe maximum payload but it’s going to be riding low with that much weight!

Back