What is the lowest temp you all would use 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll use 20w50 in my chevy small block during the summer months when triple digit heat rules. :eek:

Well, just for fun I checked out the Temperature and Viscosity chart in the owner's manual of my late great 1979 Mazda GLC.

It shows 20W-50 being good down to -10°C (14°F), and good up to 50°C (122°F).

Well, just for fun I checked out the Temperature and Viscosity chart in the owner's manual of my late great 1979 Mazda GLC.

It shows 20W-50 being good down to -10°C (14°F), and good up to 50°C (122°F).
I guess having such a tiny little engine engine probably makes it pretty easy to start even with molasses in the crankcase.

about -10C, modern 20w50s have decently low pour points

you could easily use a 20w50 year round in a moderate climate like Metro Vancouver

Here's viscosity chart I converted from °C to °F

Viscosity Chart.jpg

I appreciate the conversion effort but it's a little off. 5W20 is only acceptable to 78*F? Man, my F150 is screwed.

Where did you get the original chart?
I don't remember, but I had the original for quite some time which showed °C and about 2-3 months ago I cut out the °C and replaced it with °F using Google Sheet and took screenshot of it with IrfanView. I also thought that the upper range for 0W-20 and 5W-20 was kind of low.
If you find anything better or more accurate I'd like to know.

Viscosity-Chart--PNG-.png

I found this on an AMC forum. It was posted by an Australian, which may explain 0/5W20 being omitted.
The conversions are very similar to your chart.
They were discussing 20W50 but ironically, I noticed it's not in the chart. It's getting late...

Last edited:
I guess having such a tiny little engine engine probably makes it pretty easy to start even with molasses in the crankcase.
That car started amazingly in the cold. One night I had to do a cold start at -38 C to help out a friend. I had not planned on driving the car, and it wasn't plugged in. It started fine - the secret was the manual choke.

Responding to a nearly 5 year old topic helps no one.

And this was beat to death back then.

Start a new topic if it interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back