What is the longest time it took someone to pay you back or pay a bill?

........... i got rid of many schmucks in my life due to lack of payment/repayment... most the time it's the best investment one can make. i have never looked back

I had a roommate back in my single days who still owes me $250 for utilities. 18 years and counting. Although its worth $250 to never see his deadbeat self ever again.

Weird, we just got payed on an invoice that is about 12 years old. We did some work for someone when we just started and he did not pay the bill. Basically after awhile he ghosted us. Of course we had to move on but we do send an invoice once a year just as a reminder.

Lo and behold we got a check this month and it cleared :) 12 year old bill, I am wondering why they payed all of a sudden because I know it was not a money issue.

My bet is they are going to reach out and try and hire us again.

Anyone ever experience anything similar?
was it a large bill?

Some people seem to be wired to handle their finances this way. I had a coworker who lived in a rural area, too far from the nearest gas line so he had a propane tank in the yard. He'd get a delivery in the fall/early winter and avoid paying for it as long as he could - every year it was a game to see if he could make it through to the next fall before he'd have to pay or if he'd have to get another delivery, which means paying for the last one before the truck came out. From what I know it wasn't a lack of money because when he had to break down and pay, he had the funds.

was it a large bill?
For what some of our invoices are it was not large at all. Certainly it was not a financial issue with this guy, we could never really figure out why he did not pay and he never gave us a reason.

They still haven't, lol.

I am many thousand dollars richer if I tally in what people owe me...

Getting wiser is to not put yourself in that position in the first place.

Some people seem to be wired to handle their finances this way. I had a coworker who lived in a rural area, too far from the nearest gas line so he had a propane tank in the yard. He'd get a delivery in the fall/early winter and avoid paying for it as long as he could - every year it was a game to see if he could make it through to the next fall before he'd have to pay or if he'd have to get another delivery, which means paying for the last one before the truck came out. From what I know it wasn't a lack of money because when he had to break down and pay, he had the funds.
In Massachusetts, I had someone tell me "You don't have to pay for the heat, they have to give it to you anyway."

In essence, they just "put it on the bill." The implication was "indefinitely."

Weird, we just got payed on an invoice that is about 12 years old. We did some work for someone when we just started and he did not pay the bill. Basically after awhile he ghosted us. Of course we had to move on but we do send an invoice once a year just as a reminder.

Lo and behold we got a check this month and it cleared :) 12 year old bill, I am wondering why they payed all of a sudden because I know it was not a money issue.

My guess is they need to fix the accounting so they can apply for a loan, selling the business (or IPO), or to qualify for some requirement to get new business deals.

In Massachusetts, I had someone tell me "You don't have to pay for the heat, they have to give it to you anyway."

In essence, they just "put it on the bill." The implication was "indefinitely."
In Massachusetts they basically can't shut off the gas after a certain time frame, sometime in November I think and then it's on til the winter is over. They can shut you off afterwards.

Of all the tenants I evicted, probably over a dozen I only had one tenant every pay me back. I think she owed $2200 and she actually paid me $2k a few years later out of the blue. Good enough. I think I had one tenant that owed about $5k send me $20 a few times but that was it. They're 20 year judgements so maybe I'll see a little more in the future.

Maybe the guy was in a 12 year coma. :LOL:

No, but the best advice anyone ever gave me, I wish I could buy them a beer or a cup of Vodka or whatever they use to cope nowadays, for. Decade + ago, and I'll never see them again. Makes me kinda sad.

I once worked in the service dept. of a forklift dealer. Those customers who stayed current got the best we could provide. Those who did not paid list price for everything plus 30%-40% extra for HOK (heaven only knows).

Back