What is the deal with Castrol Magnatec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my brother's Honda and used Castrol Magnatec 5W-20. I still don't understand why Magnatec in 5W-20 is "Full Synthetic" and 5W-30 is a "Synthetic Blend". They are the same price for a 5 quart jug at Walmart.

Anyone know what gives?

Either Castrol or Walmart didn't price 5W30 right. I don't care either way, if 5W20 priced right I buy it, if Synthetic Blend 5W30 is about the same price as other Full Synthetic then I buy other brands.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Maybe because the 20s required more synthetic than the synthetic blend?

And that might be true, but I would figure that it would cost more. Full synthetic oils from the same maker are generally priced higher.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Justin251
Maybe because the 20s required more synthetic than the synthetic blend?

And that might be true, but I would figure that it would cost more.

And possibly it does cost Castrol slightly more, but manufacturers typically don't vary pricing by grade, if it's within the same product line.

T-shirts in size "L" typically cost more to make than in size "M" because more fabric is needed, but they are both priced the same. The manufacturer figures out the desired margin by considering the cost to make all grades/sizes while having the same price on all of them.

The 0w20 and 5w20 re a great deal at Walmart, only $18.74. The 5w30 is the same price but is only a blend as you mentioned. Only a dollar more than WPP Supertech syn.

The synthetic blend grades probably still have a majority syn content though, as every dexos blend I know of is at least 50% syn.

I wouldn't be surprised if castrol makes the 30's full synthetic eventually.

I can't get over the stupidity of the advertising ... "intelligent molecules".

It must be a Castrol pricing strategy. Amazon also has the 5w30 and 5w20 both priced at $18.74. The 5w20 looks to be somewhat of a bargain.

The full syn is a steal, the blend about average price wise but Magnatec seems an attractive high quality choice in that bracket as well.

Wouldnt buy the 5w30 blend even at autozones dollar day specials. In 5w30 blend use Pennzoil Gold, Valvoline Maxlife or QS Syn blend and rest easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back