What is the cooling system capacity of a 2013 RAV-4 with 4 cylinder USA gasoline engine ?

Does anyone know the cooling system capacity of a 2013 Toyota RAV-4 with the 4 cylinder gasoline USA engine, not including the overflow bottle?

Test strips show the coolant to have a good Ph. but possibly pure antifreeze with NO water, that actually shows a freeze point of -8 F. ( Pure antifreeze actually has a higher freeze point temperature than a properly diluted antifreeze and deionized water mixture.)

I have a new refractcrometer for antifreeze. I have a graduated cylinder, and can remove a small amount and measure and add deionized water outside of the vehicle, and read the freeze point with the refractometer. But Toyota seems to hide the capacity in any information I find doing searches. With the results I figure out, and the vehicles cooling system capacity, I will know how much coolant to remove and replace with deionized water. And of course test it after it has been ran to mix and cooled off.

But I can not find the capacity of it.

So if you know, please help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
From Chilton:

1625835793409.jpg

-8F could be ~38%Coolant. Which seems more likely to me.
38% should have a SG of ~1.06
95+% would be ~ 1.12

Might be hard to tell those small differences with a graduated cylinder, hence the refractometer.

The test strips showed 100 % antifreeze, and the -8 F rating.

My brother and his wife with there son pitching in some, just bought this 2013 RAV-4 recently for the son to use to go away to college out of state ( near Cleveland ) next fall. And we are trying to go over it as well as we can before he leaves. It is sometimes hard to get things taken care of because the son using the vehicle daily to get to and from work and working 12 hours almost every day now that school is out.

I does appear that one of the previous owners has put 100 % not diluted antifreeze in it. And 100 % antifreeze actually does not cool as well and will freeze at a warmer temperature than when properly mixed.

It is sometimes hard to figure out all that has to be done to get a new to someone vehicle to optimum reliability while keeping cost of doing that at a minimum, when you do not have any idea who put the first 80,000 miles on it and how it was maintained. One thing, appearance wise, it is sure one clean vehicle, and runs and shifts very well.

So far they have put 4 new 3PMSF rated tires on it and at that time had it aligned on a Hunter alignment machine. Put new brake pads and rotors on it all the way around, and a new battery.

I caught that the original never used spare tire was at 10.5 PSI instead of 60 and showed them where the spare tire changing jack was.

There are a few more things that need attention before he uses it in a snow belt area in the winter. I'm just trying to make sure this young man has a reliable vehicle for going to college for 4 years.

zrxkawboy, thank you for that information.

I think that along with the refractometer the next time I work on it I will take samples of the antifreeze and put them in a few different freezers including one deep freezer to see what temperatures that antifreeze in it now truly will freeze at. I have a good IR gun so I can easily measure the temperatures that those freezers get down to.

One thing for certain, I would not feel comfortable with any relative going out of state for a long time that will include winter, with what I have seen about that coolant in a vehicle until more information has been figured out about it.

Last edited:
To keep costs down, you could draw a sample of the coolant and mix it with dH2O, then retest. This would let you determine whether a simple dilution with water will suffice, or if a full flush/replacement is required.

I am not sure if you still need it.
I usually used Amsoil Application Guide in their website for fluid capacity for specific vehicle.

Back