what is the best v6 ever made?

My father knew 2 guys with Xterras with VG33E engines, and after 90,000 miles the engine bearings were knocking. Both of them had their oil changed every 3,000 miles.

Very old post I know that but I must reply...lol
I would have bought both of their trucks dirt cheap if I could have. My money says it was fuel related because they will spark knock like crazy when they run really lean and it makes them sound like mains. The only way both these engines would really have bad mains is they ran without or too low on oil. They are outstanding engines. I've personally seen these VQ33 engines with a quarter million miles still rolling fine. Chances are they got gas from the same place and it has water in it or contaminated. Little odd they both had issues like this.

I would think the Toyota 1GR 4.0....especially the single VVT-i version would have to be on the list somewhere. Aside from a head gasket issue in some of the '05s, those things seem about as robust as it gets. Countless stories of 200k, 300k and more on them still running strong

No clue, but I know the best sounding one....VW's VR6!

As a Mopar fan, I have to say the GM 3800. Decent power, fuel economy, and buttery smooth. Many good memories riding around in my buddies Buick LeSabre we affectionately nicknamed “the LeSlobber” in high school.

Id say its a tie between the Nissan VQ, and the Honda J series with the 3800 coming in second.

I like the 3.5L Toyota 2GR-FE in my aunt’s Avalon. Plenty of power and good fuel economy. I haven’t heard of any issues with them either.

GM 3.8L/4.3L are legendary, and the Toyota 3.4L from the 1990s (3VZ?). Honorable mention to the Nissan GT-R (whoop-ass V6).

3.0 toyota. I have had 3 of them . Not a problem ever. Dealer said that they last 250000 with little maintenance. I changed oil and plugs . that was it. sold it with 133000. I'm sure its still going.
They are one smooth running moto
3.0 toyota. I have had 3 of them . Not a problem ever. Dealer said that they last 250000 with little maintenance. I changed oil and plugs . that was it. sold it with 133000. I'm sure its still going.
3vze? Smooth and last forever once defective head gaskets are changed. MPG and Power and low points.

I don't know if it's the new forum software making the search feature better or what, but we are on a roll with thread resurrections!

I still own the same 3.0 Vulcan I had when I last posted in this thread 8 years ago. It leaks more oil, and has consumed another cam synchro, but runs smooth at 247K, and just got around 21 MPG on a trip to Chattanooga from Birmingham, which for any V6 auto Ranger is pretty good, especially doing 75-80 most of the way or being in traffic. Still never been out of the truck, motor mounts untouched since it rolled off the assembly line, only one valve cover gasket replaced, heads have never been off.

One thing I have learned about these from a family member's truck, is nobody wants to do head gaskets on these if they fail. They want to just put an engine in. Ford dealership will do it to the tune of $2500 or so. If mine needs engine work, it's retirement time. This truck paid it's dues long ago.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
seems like the answer over overwhelmingly is the 3800 and 4.3. i am a bit surprised given the intake issues and the 3800 goofy coolant elbows. lol but i will agree it is a good engine.

Except those are easy things to fix. In all three of mine I have never had a coolant elbow problem and you are talking a small sample of the millions made from the 60's until the last cars that used it in 08. Same with the 4.3. I do the gasket once and forget it. I don't even check the oil between changes in the Buick. Other V6 motors are not so lucky. Except for my CTS that owned, I will never own a V6 with a timing belt that requires me to take apart half the motor for "Scheduled Maintenance" Seems to me huge maintenance like that gets a pass as long as it is considered "Normal". I just compare the gasket to doing a timing belt, or headgasket on some Toyotas.
there is NO way you can have an engine "that just needs an intake manifold gasket once" be in a list of the best engines ever. Makes no sense to me. Do you realize how many of these cars were sent to the junkyard because someone was un-willing to do this intake manifold gasket?

there is NO way you can have an engine "that just needs an intake manifold gasket once" be in a list of the best engines ever. Makes no sense to me. Do you realize how many of these cars were sent to the junkyard because someone was un-willing to do this intake manifold gasket?

I know right -thats a little like - she'd be hot without that wart on her face...

My ex wife had a car called a mazda precidia you couldn't get in the US and it had a tiny V6 I think it was 1.5 or 1.8L, but it was a sweet little mill.

Back