What is the best synthetic oil to use for my car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I will try to give as much information as possible here. I drive a 2008 dodge caliber with a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine with a CVT automatic transmission. So in other words the car does not shift and can maintain hi revs for long periods of time if I am flooring it. I tend to drive hard on my vehicles and I typically drive this car daily to and from work with a lot of highway travel. I change the oil every 4-5000 miles. The car calls for SAE 5w20 and recommends it be API certified. I currently use royal purple but I am a little worried because I have been reading negative reviews and I do not know if I should switch to a different oil. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stick with conventional at that change interval. Otherwise go with a cheaper synthetic like super tech or something priced right.

Last edited:
I like the synthetic because I do see a slight increase in mpg but can I go longer intervals on the oil change I was told not to go over 5000 even with full synthetic by the dealer

Originally Posted By: Legns
I like the synthetic because I do see a slight increase in mpg but can I go longer intervals on the oil change I was told not to go over 5000 even with full synthetic by the dealer

If the dealer is an oil engineer ,then I would listen to him. If not , you'll get better advice here. Their job is to sell services. Ours is to share knowledge.

I won't tell you what to run , but it sounds like RP is fine for your application. If royal purple is over priced napa syn , switch to that.
There are many other extended oci synthetics. PP or PU as well as GC or M1 would all be good choices. Find one with a good rebate deal and buy it. If you like to stick with one brand, M1 extended is widely available on special with a filter for $30. You can get an oil analysis kit on amazon for under $20 and check how your oil is doing at 5000 miles . Then decide how long you want to run it.

You could use synthetic in the winter( better cold startup) and conventional in the summer. With hwy and long trips a 4-5000 mile interval is a waste for synthetic. With the hwy trips 7500 for a syn would be safe.

{Removed non-site sponsor link}

It says it right there on the internet.
smile.gif

Seriously though, chad8 is right...the service manager is telling you what he wants you to do.

If the vehicle is under warranty, follow the factory recommendations if you are interested in preserving your warranty.

If you don't care or are beyond the warranty period/distance, then have a UOA performed at 5000 miles and see how your RP is doing. With synthetic it's likely you will be able to extend your interval and save money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I will try to give as much information as possible here. I drive a 2008 dodge caliber with a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine with a CVT automatic transmission. So in other words the car does not shift and can maintain hi revs for long periods of time if I am flooring it. I tend to drive hard on my vehicles and I typically drive this car daily to and from work with a lot of highway travel. I change the oil every 4-5000 miles. The car calls for SAE 5w20 and recommends it be API certified. I currently use royal purple but I am a little worried because I have been reading negative reviews and I do not know if I should switch to a different oil. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I bet ya if you use conventional oil and observe conservative OCI, your engine would easily outlast the body/rest of the automobile.

Q.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Amsoil XL 5w-20 !

+1. Can't go wrong with Amsoil.

Don't get caught up in the reviews you read online. I use cheap dino oil. Never had a problem.

If an oil works well for your vehicle,stick with it!

Dont get caught up into the "recent tests" reviews,etc.
90% of the time,the motor will outlast the rest of the vehicle,true story.

Read the link below.

Your question is typical of all the others that already have a preconceived choice in mind and just want to confirm that notion. You already proved that by blowing off dino because you saw mileage gains, yeah right!
But in actuality, from the info you provided, dino would be the best suited option. There is nothing special about your vehicle or your driving style despite what you might think.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1664795#Post1664795

Last edited:
A fellow Long Islander!

Pep Boys runs 5 qts of Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter from time to time for about $30. AAP and Auto Zone have similar deals which might run a bit more. You can also get PP and a good filter on an oil change special. Either will do just fine in your application.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Ok I will try to give as much information as possible here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If an oil works well for your vehicle,stick with it!

Dont get caught up into the "recent tests" reviews,etc.
90% of the time,the motor will outlast the rest of the vehicle,true story.

Spot on advice don't get caught in BITOG rat oil race.

Thank you for all the advice it has been extremely helpful I will get the test kit to check my oil and see if the oil can handle longer change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back